Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Best place to hard wire radar detector wiring

Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best place to hard wire radar detector wiring

I have a hard wiring kit for my radar detector. I would like to have it on my left visor which means running the wire down the passenger side of the vehicle. Can anyone suggest the easiest place to tap into a switched hot?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuse box in passenger foot well, using a fuse tap.

I like this style (in the new ford mini fuse format of course)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wire-Tap-...ht_2416wt_1202
The following users liked this post:
ov10mech (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ov10mech
I have a hard wiring kit for my radar detector. I would like to have it on my left visor which means running the wire down the passenger side of the vehicle. Can anyone suggest the easiest place to tap into a switched hot?
The days of radar detectors are gone. I myself am a police officer on Long Island and can tell you that I only shoot laser and I don't care what make, model or price you pay you will not detect the laser in time. I shoot it at night and during the day from distances ranging from 500' all the way up to 1200 ' so far. And yes it holds up in a court of law.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Beast
The days of radar detectors are gone. I myself am a police officer on Long Island and can tell you that I only shoot laser and I don't care what make, model or price you pay you will not detect the laser in time. I shoot it at night and during the day from distances ranging from 500' all the way up to 1200 ' so far. And yes it holds up in a court of law.

^^^This^^^

While a lot of cops still use radar, most of the time your detector won't do a thing to save you. It'll simply tell you "hey he's got you on radar numb nuts, get ready to pull over"

Not to mention a detector simply takes your chances of getting a verbal/written warning and throws it out of the window.

Up to you, but personally I believe they are a huge waste of money.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Thankfully our tax dollar wasters still use radar so mine works great. If I decide to keep this truck I'm going to invest in laser blockers.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Useful information up here:

I have a Beltronics STi Driver on a Blendmount with a MirrorTap which is something that I imagine you can use on your Lariat. It takes no time at all to install. You don't even really need the Blendmount if you like your suction cup mount and you get a longer tap or lengthen one. Also, if you're fairly competent with wiring you can make one yourself.

Edit: Totally missed the part about the sun visor due to my ranting, but there are plenty of ignition-on power sources in your headliner or in the back of your mirror.

Rant follows below:

Good for ya'll. As someone who spent a ton of time driving on LI/NYS Thruway/etc I'm glad because hopefully this means you'll pull over those spoiled kids in their Audi S4's and BMWs even more. However, in the rest of the country we still have plenty of police using K and Ka Band radar.
For the record, my Beltronics has paid for itself over and over again, especially due to the fact that I can detect radar a long way off and slow to a reasonable speed. That was when I had a little speedy sedan though, now with the truck I am way more careful with traveling over the speed limit - 5,500 lbs does not stop faster than 3,000 lbs. Still use it around the cities though, and obviously though school zones and construction sites

(To those without a sense of humor: obviously I'm kidding about the school zones and construction sites)

Last edited by corsair; 12-22-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all who responded to my wiring question. Ended up going off the moonroof that is switched.

I am not sure how the wiring question turned into a debate on radar use. I am not a new user of one. Just transferring vehicles.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Certified Amsoil Dealer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.cobra.com/detail/vedetta...a-detector.cfm

So as a cop and a fellow F150 member would this help us against laser radar?

Last edited by jmummery; 12-22-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best place to hard wire radar detector wiring