Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Best factory config for aftermarket radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Best factory config for aftermarket radio?

I'm looking at getting a new truck in the next month or so. Right now I have my pick of 2012s or 2013s.

I will want to rip out all factory audio and replace with my own stuff (head, spakers, sub, amp, and EQ stuff). I am comfortable with this and have done it for years, but I am not up to speed on what it will take on these newer trucks (my 06 is pretty simple).

Is there a better factory config for this? Things that are important to me are keeping all steering controls (pretty easy) and SYNC, USB/Aux ports, etc.

The new trucks look to be highly integrated with other stuff on the dash.

Are there any differences in 2012/2013, or should I go for 1 sound system over the other? The key here is keeping it simple enough, but maintaining all factory options outside of the sound system.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I'm looking at getting a new truck in the next month or so. Right now I have my pick of 2012s or 2013s.

I will want to rip out all factory audio and replace with my own stuff (head, spakers, sub, amp, and EQ stuff). I am comfortable with this and have done it for years, but I am not up to speed on what it will take on these newer trucks (my 06 is pretty simple).

Is there a better factory config for this? Things that are important to me are keeping all steering controls (pretty easy) and SYNC, USB/Aux ports, etc.

Are there any differences in 2012/2013, or should I go for 1 sound system over the other? The key here is keeping it simple enough, but maintaining all factory options outside of the sound system.
I was told that the Touch system in the 2013 would seriously limit would you could replace it with, but as far as particulaars, I don't know why. I bought mine with the same idea as you and settled on a 12 XLT. My truck has the factory single CD and Sync with the line in and USB jacks down below and sw controls of course. This thing defiantley could use an upgrade since it sounds like crap. After reading some of the treads here and other places, it doesn't look like these are too much of a hassle to replace with aftermarket stuff. Now just have to find a head unit.

One thing I found over the weekend is what looks like a pretty cool nav unit for the F150 by Advent. After watching some of the videos, it looks like this thing is plug and play with Sync and the factory USB and looks pretty damn factory. Here's the videos:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all

I'm going to try and find out more info on it - looks like it may be a good place to start with the project.
The following users liked this post:
bchandler02 (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool, thanks for the input. I'll start trying to read up on 13's specifically with touch. Unfortunately I think I found the (otherwise) perfectly spec'd truck this morning, but it is a 13.
Time to do some more reading...
Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by bchandler02

I have read that some options such as the heated/cooled seats are controlled by the 2013 factory HU. Might want to keep things like that in mind.
The following users liked this post:
bchandler02 (12-10-2012)

Quick Reply: Best factory config for aftermarket radio?