Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Best Buy Install fuuggettaboutit

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Back to Ford

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best Buy Install fuuggettaboutit

Went to Best Buy today to tt the install dept about replacing the Sony speakers with something better and after talking to the two nit wits about it, I wouldn't let them touch the new truck when it comes in, EVER!

Anyone ever have a similar experience? There are two other custom reputable audio shops in town so that's where I'll be going.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

I have never liked best buy!! I can't believe this bc everyone I talk to thinks best buy is god's gift to aftermarket stereo and I think they are absolutely worthless!!

I liked Circuit City but I personally knew a tech/manager there … but really I don't see myself trusting any car audio shop...
Old 12-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll chime in here. When I got my Polk Component speakers in the mail, of course I had to have them in that day. As luck would have it I didn't have the time so I figure 'what the heck?' I'll try Best Buy.

The guys at the install bay were friendly and courteous. The install cost me 95 bucks, which I saw as reasonable, considering they had to cut holes in my doors for the tweeters. To be completely honest, the tweeters are not mounted perfectly center in relation to one another, but it is only noticeable if I am really looking. A couple of weeks later I took my door panels off to adjust the crossover. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of work in regard to dressing in the wires and the mounting of the crossovers.

All in all I would give the experience 7 out of 10.

I think people forget that the quality of workmanship depends more on the technician, not the company they work for.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Back to Ford

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PondJumper
I'll chime in here. When I got my Polk Component speakers in the mail, of course I had to have them in that day. As luck would have it I didn't have the time so I figure 'what the heck?' I'll try Best Buy.

The guys at the install bay were friendly and courteous. The install cost me 95 bucks, which I saw as reasonable, considering they had to cut holes in my doors for the tweeters. To be completely honest, the tweeters are not mounted perfectly center in relation to one another, but it is only noticeable if I am really looking. A couple of weeks later I took my door panels off to adjust the crossover. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of work in regard to dressing in the wires and the mounting of the crossovers.

I think people forget that the quality of workmanship depends more on the technician, not the company they work for.
I will say that I have had a decent experience once bf but this time not so much.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 521 Likes on 293 Posts

No way in hell I'd let BB do anything in my truck. I know a guy who had an alarm installed there and they caused 2k worth of damage to his steering column.

It's just the fact that they hire anyone off the street and let them hack up peoples wiring harnesses and cut holes in interior panels.

Support your local stereo shop.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where and how did they mount the crossovers and tweeters? I just ordered some Polk components that I will install next week.

I must agree that often it is the installer, but the company must set the standards that each installer must meet. So I think BB is at least partially to blame.

Originally Posted by PondJumper

Last edited by RobJok; 12-10-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the tweeters mounted just forward of the door handle. There is a small panel that is the perfect size, and I think it gives the install a classy look. I wasn't too worried about having them at ear level, these things could have been put in the glove box and still be heard. I wish I had pics, but haven't taken any. The crossovers mounted just above the place where the door speakers go.

Oh yeah, to mount the crossovers, they just used small screws. At first I was like "Ahhh, screws in my door that weren't there before!" But then figured I'd find something more important to be OCD about.

Last edited by PondJumper; 12-10-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I should get mine next week. Was thinking of using heavy duty velcro to install the crossover. We'll see once I get into it.

Quick Reply: Best Buy Install fuuggettaboutit