Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Best Aftermarket Speakers without Modification

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:21 AM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Question Best Aftermarket Speakers without Modification

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to this forum, but I was hoping I could get some advice and opinions. I have a new body style '04 Lariat Screw. It came with the factory 6CD changer with steering wheel control, but no factory sub. I just found a factory sub online and am planning on installing it as soon as it gets here. I have done loads of research on that-and I think I'm ready for it. However, I got to thinkin, I might as well put some better sounding speakers in there, too, right? Well I have already installed the Kenwood DDX-419 touch stereo, and I love it. But I am a little picky of what goes on my truck, so I want the best 6x8 speaker I can get for all four doors without having to drill holes. Basically I want to be able to hear the richer, deeper sounds and have it be able to keep up with the treble of all my Van Halen tracks. Anyway, I'd much appreciate your input!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

First of all, are you planning on using an amp to power said speakers?

Second, I would look at 6.5" speakers over 6x8's as you will get a more full sound.
Why are you against drilling holes for a component set? They will sound MUCH better and it's really easy to do with a hole saw on a drill.

Lastly be careful what you wish for, as there are plenty of $2000+ sets of speakers. So set a realistic price range.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by acdiecast
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to this forum, but I was hoping I could get some advice and opinions. I have a new body style '04 Lariat Screw. It came with the factory 6CD changer with steering wheel control, but no factory sub. I just found a factory sub online and am planning on installing it as soon as it gets here. I have done loads of research on that-and I think I'm ready for it. However, I got to thinkin, I might as well put some better sounding speakers in there, too, right? Well I have already installed the Kenwood DDX-419 touch stereo, and I love it. But I am a little picky of what goes on my truck, so I want the best 6x8 speaker I can get for all four doors without having to drill holes. Basically I want to be able to hear the richer, deeper sounds and have it be able to keep up with the treble of all my Van Halen tracks. Anyway, I'd much appreciate your input!
Read grasshopper read.
This has been answered many times. Set a budget and go from there
Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

That is very true. I will not be using an amp, just what is kicking out of the back of the HU. I am opposed to drilling holes simply because I want to be able to pull them out and replace with the OEM should I sell the truck. Plus, I just like to keep things as OE as I can without sacrificing functionality. I'd also like to spend about $60-$80/pair for em. I will read what I can find, I'm sorry for the dupe thread. As for the factory sub, I ordered the crutchfield kit of adapters, do you think I need a 12v to 5v regulator?

Last edited by acdiecast; 08-13-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:23 PM

That is very true. I will not be using an amp, just what is kicking out of the back of the HU. I am opposed to drilling holes simply because I want to be able to pull them out and replace with the OEM should I sell the truck. Plus, I just like to keep things as OE as I can without sacrificing functionality. I'd also like to spend about $60-$80/pair for em. I will read what I can find, I'm sorry for the dupe thread. As for the factory sub, I ordered the crutchfield kit of adapters, do you think I need a 12v to 5v regulator?
Any 6x8 or 5x7 will work. I used Kickers for $50 a pair. Very possible on the regulator. I know I needed one on my expedtion
Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Recall the front doors accepting a 5x7 since the speaker recesses onto the door panel, the additional size of a 6x8 probably won't work. As for your 5v question, that is for the oem sub, use the blue/white off Kenwood for turn on.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

Originally Posted by MKC70
Recall the front doors accepting a 5x7 since the speaker recesses onto the door panel, the additional size of a 6x8 probably won't work. As for your 5v question, that is for the oem sub, use the blue/white off Kenwood for turn on.
I haven't started the install on that yet, but do you mean the blue/white control wire will need the 5v regulator? And thanks for the size info, crutchfield said a 6x8 will work, but I wasn't sold on that.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:14 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I went with infinity Kappa 5x7. They have a sensitivity level that works great with low wattage sit-ups such as stock or HU wattage.

They even come with built in crossover. I am running mine off a Kenwood DDX616 and they sound great!

I found them on amazon.com and got both sets for under $150 delivered.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:16 PM

I haven't started the install on that yet, but do you mean the blue/white control wire will need the 5v regulator? And thanks for the size info, crutchfield said a 6x8 will work, but I wasn't sold on that.
Pretty sure you will need the regulator. Ask Crutchfield for sure
Old 08-14-2013, 06:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes and no. The stock amp needs only see above 5volts to operate. The output on the Kenwood is probably just shy of 12v. Unless you get the voltage closer to 5, then you will get a turn on pop, so entirely up to you. If it was my install I would not want the noise. A delayed turn on would accomplish the same thing as well.
Res4cue's suggestion of an Infinity may not be a bad choice, but i would suggest you decide for yourself by listening with your own ears.

Quick Reply: Best Aftermarket Speakers without Modification