Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Been bustin' my butt...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Default Been bustin' my butt...

And now I got a stereo that isn't ghetto rigged, and/or not a home stereo system

Alright, over the past couple days I've made my finger tips raw, got wire nuts to work properly, found out that wiring is a pain in the ***, learned that my radio is on a different electrical circuit than stock, installed door speakers and proceeded to watch my mirrors shake , installed 6x9s and was unimpressed, found a nice EQ, and then modified my old speaker boxes by prying them apart, gutting them, cleaning off all the excess wood, going out and buying a new saw, mutilated the mounting "plate" for my own selfish needs, proceeded to inhale an assload of sawdust that still has me coughing a little, and now have almost professional-ish speakers in boxes! That is my story, and these are my pictures:

For starters, I had to undo the old wiring harness, which wasn't as straight forward as it should have been, mostly 'cause this is my first foray into anything real serious on the stereo

After I got that all sorted out, I moved on to installing my door speakers. This should have been easy, but of course the templates that came with the speakers were off, to say the least. I got smart on the second door and just marked out the holes straight the speakers. I don't need no stinkin' templates!

Then after that, I moved on to my temporary placement of the rear 6x9s. This was before I had boxes made up. It worked alright, but there was no low end coming out of these speakers at all because they were stuck in the open air. Personally, I like this picture. It strikes me as artsy

After all that was over, I found out the hard way I blew a fuse... This was followed by a lot of cursing, a short burst of absolute hate for my truck, then as I cooled off I realized what was wrong. Which led to a complete hate of using wirenuts behind the dash before I got everything figured out on making them stick, 'cause they're retarded and stuff... Now I present to you, my working Sony CDX-GT09HP 45x4ch CD/AUX/Radio, in all it's overexposed, but lit up pretty goodness (the backlight is blue, the numbers are white)

After this, I went on for a few days seeing how the stereo was, driftin' in the dirt, and overall learning I have a lot to learn about powerslide But that led me to my final inspiration to modify my old boxes from my previous set up, of a 3 speaker home theatre system. I used the 2 supporting speakers, and I'm gonna put the center channel in my room Here's the boxes I modified

continue...
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 PM

After tearing in the box, prying the 2 parts of it apart, this is what I saw

I was extremely surprised when opening the box up to find a little speaker, no bigger than 5 inches across was what was giving me very noticeable, albeit very muddy and distorted, bass.

At this point I stopped taking pictures... I blame the sawdust inhalation What happened next was I used the 6x9 template to trace out the size of opening I needed for the speakers to fit, and then the where I needed to drill, simply for reference, as the holes weren't in the exact right places. This is when I learned I had to go out and buy a Coping Saw (hooray for building up my collection of tools). After I got it I set about cutting out the hole I needed. Also learned that my bed rails make for passable parts of vise grips, with my arm on top. After I (made my left shoulder really sore 'cause it was a weird angle to clamp down on something out) finished cutting on the holes, I had to go at it with a dremmel to sand off the last 1/4 inch I needed to make the speaker flush enough to sound good, but not to go through the sides of the top piece of wood. I've got maybe half an inch on each side of the hole to the end of the wood at every side. Then I drilled the 4 pilot holes for the screws on each "mounting plate" and then mounted my 6x9s with guards

After I got both speakers screwed in and ready to go, I set about sealing the top plate to the box itself. I ended up going with some non silicone based adhesive caulk. It should do the trick nicely... And before anyone asks, the guard is what hangs over the box, the speaker is nice and in it like it should be. This is a pretty decieving picture

Here's a picture of the finished boxes, with speakers mounted, on our freezer, 'cause the work bench is currently a big box shelf, like it's been since we moved in... 7 years ago

I can honestly say I now have more than just sweat, but now blood to add into the mixture. I just hope there's no tears! Final review comes in tommorow when I install the boxes in the truck and test em out. I mocked it up already before I sealed the boxes, and there should be a very noticeable difference in my low end
Old 01-08-2010, 10:47 PM
^ drinks KC Tea

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats man good work!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow! good work, hope it sounds good!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:12 AM

If the boxes do as much as I hope they do, then I'll be satisfied enough to be feeling my seat shake a little. I got a sub in the future plans, but I need more money first!
Old 01-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Boxes work great! Now it's balanced with hearable bass

And my powersliding was better today too lol
Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 PM
^ drinks KC Tea

thats tight dude! i need new audio in my truck
Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM

I'll sell what's left of the cannabalized home theatre system I used It's the center channel, used for picking up the higher sounds. I liked it, but I wanted better LOL
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:25 AM
^ drinks KC Tea

lol no thanks man im waitin on my sisters bf to sell me his 15" solo x's lol
Old 01-10-2010, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got 2 kicker compdvc 12" and 3000 watts. mine broke the mirrior!! lmao
Attached Thumbnails Been bustin' my butt...-1107090850.jpg  
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Been bustin' my butt...