Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Battery issues with radio install

Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery issues with radio install

About 1 year ago, I had the factory radio swapped with a Kenwood deck at a local audio store. Around 6 months later I began having battery issues; subsequently, I had a new battery put in and the issues continued. Basically, if I let my truck sit for over 8 hrs it would be dead. The Ford dealer pinpointed the problem to my radio and had it uninstalled. Stuck without any music for 6 months and headed to college, I decided to give it another go this past week. Immediately after a new Kenwood deck and install my truck's battery was drained (after 6 months of ZERO issues). I jumped my truck 4x in one week! I made multiple trips to this audio installer store and finally the head tech gave a look. His diagnosis: it is my factory amp that is draining the battery so I need to buy both a new sub and amp (as their amps are too powerful for my factory sub.....).
I opted for a 2nd opinion and took my truck to Best Buy. To make a long story short, there was nothing with any true drain. The amp registered a 0.18 drain and the deck only a 0.12. The tech there said that neither could cause a battery to drain overnight. He did, however, notice that the folks at Audio Express didnt install a resistor on the amp to bring the 12V from the deck down to the 5V the factory amp was used to.
Basically, I am at a loss for what to do. I leave for Los Angeles and university this upcoming Tuesday and need the problem resolved ASAP.
I cannot have my truck fail me when I am taking some girl out...

Any help appreciated.

BTW: I have a 2004 F150 FX4 Ext. Cab if that helps
Old 08-17-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The resistor, i believe, is for the remote on. Should be no drain when the vehicle is off. So, whether it's 12v or 5v, it doesn't mean much.

maybe try a different deck? Sorry, I guess i'm not much help.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:39 PM

See that's the thing.. This is the 2nd deck (brand new) I've tried.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would assume something is hooked up to constant power that is not suppose to be. That or your alternator is not recharging your battery...get a more heavy duty alternator or new alternator.

Does the amp or deck stay on when your truck is off and the door is open?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

How is the HU hooked up to the factory sub? Try leaving he deck in and disconnecting the factory sub amp and see if it goes dead. Maybe something is wrong with the sub amp causing to drain the battery.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My truck use to do that but we hooked up the head unit direct to the battery a couple days laters decided it wasn't worth it replacing the battery every other week so I hooked it up the way it's suppose to be
Old 08-22-2012, 05:21 PM
12v Installer

if you have a meter, turn the truck off and meter the remote turn on at the sub woofer amp, see if it has voltage with key off, i have seen kenwood units before leaving constant on the remote line. do you have a alarm/remote start installed in it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery issues with radio install