Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Battery drain after Kenwood stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain after Kenwood stereo install

I recently replaced the stock stereo system with a Kenwood DDX-419.

A few days after the install the truck didn't start. Figured it was a light left on or something no biggy right. Well same thing day after day. Been trying to figure out which component is causing the drain.

ITEMS USED:

Metra Dash Kit Replacement (A/C and top controls moved over)PAC MS-FRD1 (Sync Retention Harness)
Kenwood DDX-419
AWSC Steering control harness
Pioneer 400 watt amp with 10" Infinity Sub

I have everything wired perfectly. Background I am an Electronics Technician 13 years Navy Submarines. I have done more stereo installs than I can count.
  • I pulled the AWSC Harness and still had the same problem.
  • I ran the amp off both the 12v signal from the FRD1 and the stereo itself to see if maybe the 12v sig was keeping it on. Amp wasn't warm to touch with car off after sitting.
  • I checked every wire to ensure nothing was drawing power accidently. The are all capped off.
  • Replaced the battery with a new Duralast equivelant just incase
  • No factory antenna connection (Pin bent in connector during install. Doubt that could cause it but hey who knows nowadays.
I for the life of me can not figure what the culprit is. Took the stereo out and put the stock in no problems at all the next morning. FML.

Anyone else run into this problem yet or have a similar experience? I was thinking maybe the FRD1 harness went bad (sat in my extra electronics tub for 2 years between owning my 10 F-150 XLT and this 11 lariat. Maybe relay gone back inside harness and it continues to pull power? And on top of that my testers fuse is blown so can't test for amperage draw til i get the fuse replaced....

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by rukollya
I recently replaced the stock stereo system with a Kenwood DDX-419.

A few days after the install the truck didn't start. Figured it was a light left on or something no biggy right. Well same thing day after day. Been trying to figure out which component is causing the drain.

ITEMS USED:

Metra Dash Kit Replacement (A/C and top controls moved over)PAC MS-FRD1 (Sync Retention Harness)
Kenwood DDX-419
AWSC Steering control harness
Pioneer 400 watt amp with 10" Infinity Sub

I have everything wired perfectly. Background I am an Electronics Technician 13 years Navy Submarines. I have done more stereo installs than I can count.
  • I pulled the AWSC Harness and still had the same problem.
  • I ran the amp off both the 12v signal from the FRD1 and the stereo itself to see if maybe the 12v sig was keeping it on. Amp wasn't warm to touch with car off after sitting.
  • I checked every wire to ensure nothing was drawing power accidently. The are all capped off.
  • Replaced the battery with a new Duralast equivelant just incase
  • No factory antenna connection (Pin bent in connector during install. Doubt that could cause it but hey who knows nowadays.
I for the life of me can not figure what the culprit is. Took the stereo out and put the stock in no problems at all the next morning. FML.

Anyone else run into this problem yet or have a similar experience? I was thinking maybe the FRD1 harness went bad (sat in my extra electronics tub for 2 years between owning my 10 F-150 XLT and this 11 lariat. Maybe relay gone back inside harness and it continues to pull power? And on top of that my testers fuse is blown so can't test for amperage draw til i get the fuse replaced....

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Better get that tester fixed.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kenwood battery drain

i had the same issue after a kenwwod install did a draw test found the the memory yellow wire was drawing to many volts installed with all correct harness if you pull off the positive battery cable connect the clip to to the positive cable while its diconnected from battery the take the other end of test light touch the positive post the light should be of if everything in truck is powered down if the light glows make sure all door are shut etc see if light is off on tester if its on then pull radio fuse see if light goes out if it does then recheck wires may have to relocate the memeroy wire to radio but my kenwood started doing this after couple months for no reason i am sure it the radio in my case may be yours to you can use a volt meter also but all new cars and trucks have a small mill of volts due to of course pcm etc keeping a small amount to hold there memory so you well see around half a volt at meter or lower but test light buld will not light up at such a low voltage so i like the test light for draw testing good luck
Old 10-08-2020, 10:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

a few . or , or ; would sure help here
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 11:08 AM
has left the building

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Cicenas
i had the same issue after a kenwwod install did a draw test found the the memory yellow wire was drawing to many volts installed with all correct harness if you pull off the positive battery cable connect the clip to to the positive cable while its diconnected from battery the take the other end of test light touch the positive post the light should be of if everything in truck is powered down if the light glows make sure all door are shut etc see if light is off on tester if its on then pull radio fuse see if light goes out if it does then recheck wires may have to relocate the memeroy wire to radio but my kenwood started doing this after couple months for no reason i am sure it the radio in my case may be yours to you can use a volt meter also but all new cars and trucks have a small mill of volts due to of course pcm etc keeping a small amount to hold there memory so you well see around half a volt at meter or lower but test light buld will not light up at such a low voltage so i like the test light for draw testing good luck
Originally Posted by Meinfarr
a few . or , or ; would sure help here
October 11, for the previous post was pretty observant for the thread date. The slight overlook was that it was 7 years ago.
I haven't read anything like this in my year being around here, and they are referring to a 2011 vehicle -thread isn't isn't very valid any longer.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Cicenas
I passed out due to lack of oxygen before I got to the end of this post....I couldn't get a breath of air in edge-wise LOL.

Quick Reply: Battery drain after Kenwood stereo install