Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Basic upgrade questions

Old 04-30-2014, 03:10 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Basic upgrade questions

Let me first start out by saying I never have been into car audio that much. Most newer vehicles have decent sound already. I know my 02 explorer sounds ok. When I got my 92 F150 last year, I guess I didn't realize how much better the new factory systems sound. Also, the truck has dual exhaust and some pretty bad wind noise, which made the factory system basically pointless. So I replaced it.

I installed a basic Kenwood deck and 4 new speakers. The sound was better, but still too weak for the truck...so I installed a Jensen 4x75 rms amp. The volume is much better now, but the 6 1/2" speakers just didn't have the lows to cut through the noise. I am a music buff. I don't listen to rap and hip-hop. I don't want to impress anyone with a hard-pounding system. I just want my music to sound good. That brings me to my next step.

I purchased another Jensen mono amp. Power output is 300x1 @ 4ohm, or 450x1 @ 2 ohm. I also got a pair of Rockford Fosgate single 8" "Punch" subs (4 ohm) 200 watt rms (400 peak). Here's my question. Am I correct in assuming I can hook these up in a series, which will create a 2 ohm load on the amp? I'm pretty sure this is correct, but wanted to make sure before installing everything.

I also got a distribution block. The currently installed amp is powered with a fused 8 gauge wire. Will I need to use a 4 gauge wire and then come out of the distribution block with 8 gauge wires, or is 8 gauge plenty for what I have?

I might also mention that I am installing the subs in a sealed box I found on eBay. Anything else I need to know before installing everything? Thanks!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Dynamat.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:18 PM

Name:  20140430_143033.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  65.4 KB
Name:  20140430_143521.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  129.5 KB

Always more interesting with some pics! Lol!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Dynamat.

Good point. Never really considered that. The truck is carpeted. Where would you suggest putting it? In the doors and under the carpet? Maybe the rear cab area? The truck is regular cab.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Yep inside the doors, behind the carpet on the cab bulkhead, any where you can.

The following users liked this post:
broncojunkie (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

IMO the 8 gauge will be ok for both amps. I am sure others will tell u to go withe the 4 gauge to the distribution block
Old 04-30-2014, 11:41 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Advice in bold below
Originally Posted by broncojunkie
Let me first start out by saying I never have been into car audio that much. Most newer vehicles have decent sound already. I know my 02 explorer sounds ok. When I got my 92 F150 last year, I guess I didn't realize how much better the new factory systems sound. Also, the truck has dual exhaust and some pretty bad wind noise, which made the factory system basically pointless. So I replaced it.

I installed a basic Kenwood deck and 4 new speakers. The sound was better, but still too weak for the truck...so I installed a Jensen 4x75 rms amp. The volume is much better now, but the 6 1/2" speakers just didn't have the lows to cut through the noise. I am a music buff. I don't listen to rap and hip-hop. I don't want to impress anyone with a hard-pounding system. I just want my music to sound good. That brings me to my next step.

I purchased another Jensen mono amp. Power output is 300x1 @ 4ohm, or 450x1 @ 2 ohm. I also got a pair of Rockford Fosgate single 8" "Punch" subs (4 ohm) 200 watt rms (400 peak). Here's my question. Am I correct in assuming I can hook these up in a series, which will create a 2 ohm load on the amp? I'm pretty sure this is correct, but wanted to make sure before installing everything.

You would hook them up in parallel for a 2ohm load. Hooking them up in series would result in an 8ohm load

I also got a distribution block. The currently installed amp is powered with a fused 8 gauge wire. Will I need to use a 4 gauge wire and then come out of the distribution block with 8 gauge wires, or is 8 gauge plenty for what I have?

I would either run a 4 gauge wire and split it or just run a second 8 gauge wire

I might also mention that I am installing the subs in a sealed box I found on eBay. Anything else I need to know before installing everything? Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
broncojunkie (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 07:58 PM

Name:  20140501_173058.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  147.2 KB

Ok guys. Thanks for the info. And my paint guy is dragging his feet on getting my truck done, so it will be a few more days before I get it back. Went ahead and ordered some 4 gauge wire today. Also mounted the speakers in the box.

Also, I might mention that I purchased the box on eBay months ago... before I even decided to add subs. While searching for speakers, I came across the listing. It appears to fit the standard cab well. It even has 2 gold plated connectors. However, while mounting the subs today I realized that the connection on the back of the gold connectors were just small, regular spade types. I felt this completely negates the heavy duty outside clips and heavy - gauge speaker wire. So I just drilled small holes in back at an angle to run the wires through. This eliminates the extra connection altogether.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:59 PM

Forgot to add that the box was only $40 shipped, which is why I grabbed it up. I figured I couldn't build one for twice that, lol!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Basic upgrade questions