Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

basic upgrade advice requested

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default basic upgrade advice requested

I am attempting to nail down a configuration for an audio upgrade. I have found a lot of helpful information on this forum (some great stuff on here). There seems to be a number of ways one can go with this, so I was hoping to get some practical guidance on what I am looking at doing. Here are the parameters I am working with:

• Truck is a 2014 STX w/ sport package – I think this means I have the basic stereo w/ sync – no touch screen, there are tweeters in the A pillars, sound quality is pretty atrocious
• I have a few friends who I would consider “audiophiles.” I am not as picky as they are, but I probably appreciate a nice quality system a lot more than the average person
• I listen mostly to country, 80’s music, rock, and occasionally classical and opera
• I prefer a very clean sound
• I enjoy tight bass that I can feel in my chest – although I like it, I can do without rolling bass
• I don’t need to crank up the sys to the point of sharing it with my neighbors, but I want to be able to appreciate the radio on the highway with the windows down over some exhaust modifications as well
• Want to keep the stock head unit if possible
• I have a budget (who doesn’t?), but I am not married to it if spending a little more will get me a lot more quality

Right now, I am between a couple of different configurations:
• A small four channel amp like the Clarion XC1410, pushing Infinity reference 8602s and a powered subwoofer like a Sound Ordnance B-8PTD.
• A five channel amp like a Kicker 11DX600.5 pushing the same door speakers and maybe a 10” bazooka
• Another configuration I should consider but haven’t listed here?

These seem like two different strategies that will cost roughly the same amount. Can anyone weight in the pros and cons of each type of setup? Also, given my conditions listed above, do you think I will be happy with this level of system, or should I consider revisiting my budget and spending more? Finally, I am somewhat handy and would enjoy saving on installation by doing it myself, but I can swing installation fees if needed – so difficulty and cost of install would be a factor here I suppose.

Your insight in this matter is greatly appreciated.

-Tim
Old 04-19-2014, 11:55 AM

should have noted:

* truck is a supercab. I need to figure out where to mount the subwoofer too
* I have an infinity basslink in the basement that I never installed on an Acura I used to own. Based on what I have read here, due to sound quality and size (nowhere to mount it), it seems like it would be best to sell the basslink and put the money toward the above, but if you feel differently, please let me know.

again, thanks in advance for your help

-Tim
Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where was your truck manufactured? If it was made in Dearborn, MI then you'll have molex connectors, which are a pain to try and amplify the front door speakers. If it was made in Kansas City, then you can just run new wiring to the speakers (no need to go through a molex connector).
Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by 11Series
should have noted:

* truck is a supercab. I need to figure out where to mount the subwoofer too
* I have an infinity basslink in the basement that I never installed on an Acura I used to own. Based on what I have read here, due to sound quality and size (nowhere to mount it), it seems like it would be best to sell the basslink and put the money toward the above, but if you feel differently, please let me know.

again, thanks in advance for your help

-Tim
basslink won't fit. You can use a PAC FRD24 to get low level outputs to a sub amp. Plug n Play. I put my sub under the rear seat passenger side small compartmant
Old 04-23-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by yamaharacer19
Where was your truck manufactured? If it was made in Dearborn, MI then you'll have molex connectors, which are a pain to try and amplify the front door speakers. If it was made in Kansas City, then you can just run new wiring to the speakers (no need to go through a molex connector).
This is helpful. It looks like my truck was manufactured in Kentucky. Any idea whether that means molex or not?
Old 04-23-2014, 06:06 PM

If you open your driver side door and looks exactly the same as the picture then you have molex connectors. But they are only on the front doors.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
11Series (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:09 PM

Or if you want to post a pick of the similar area of your door on here, I can tell you if you have molex connections or not.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:37 PM

Thanks! I am hoping that the difference in the pics means good news for me...
Attached Thumbnails basic upgrade advice requested-insidedoor.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by 11Series
Thanks! I am hoping that the difference in the pics means good news for me...
Not molex. Easy to put speaker wire thru the boot.
The following users liked this post:
11Series (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:50 PM

Good news...Thanks

Quick Reply: basic upgrade advice requested