Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Baffles vs. Dynamat

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffles vs. Dynamat

So I'm going to replace the 6x8's in my 2011 Supercrew with a set of Infinity Kappa's and wanted to know what is better to go with, baffles or dynamat behind the speakers? I've used dynamat before and have had good results but wondered if the baffles are even better considering they create and enclosed box for the speaker. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

are you talking about those foam baffles? The only ting they are good for is keeping water off your speaker!! You cut the bottom back section off of them, and the top acts like an umbrella for the speaker...they dont work like an enclosure for the speaker. You're better off making the "mounting baffle" as solid and dead as possible to get the best sound from your speaker. If you dont have any vibrations or rattles in the door...you could probably even skip the dynamat
Old 03-23-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by TimelessR1
are you talking about those foam baffles? The only ting they are good for is keeping water off your speaker!! You cut the bottom back section off of them, and the top acts like an umbrella for the speaker...they dont work like an enclosure for the speaker. You're better off making the "mounting baffle" as solid and dead as possible to get the best sound from your speaker. If you dont have any vibrations or rattles in the door...you could probably even skip the dynamat
Why would you cut off the back of them?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Let the Fun Begin

Originally Posted by mtu_f150
Why would you cut off the back of them?

you'd only cut the bottom section off...so that the speaker could breath appropriately. Most car speakes in the 5 1/4 - 6 1/2 inch range were designed to be used in an infinite baffle (and notice i say most) the reason is tht the manufactures know that 90% of the ppl wil be putting them in a door which has leaks, and has alot of air space in them. Now esentially what you are doing with these foam baffles is like putting a pillow over the back of them...they will sound pretty crappy compared to how they were designed to sound and function. Now...IF you wanted to enlose these properly...make a 1 cubic foot sealed box with ridgid walls, and a solid mounting baffle...and you'd have some very nice mid bass! But those foam baffles? Like i said...they make great speaker umbrellas in the door
Old 03-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by TimelessR1
you'd only cut the bottom section off...so that the speaker could breath appropriately. Most car speakes in the 5 1/4 - 6 1/2 inch range were designed to be used in an infinite baffle (and notice i say most) the reason is tht the manufactures know that 90% of the ppl wil be putting them in a door which has leaks, and has alot of air space in them. Now esentially what you are doing with these foam baffles is like putting a pillow over the back of them...they will sound pretty crappy compared to how they were designed to sound and function. Now...IF you wanted to enlose these properly...make a 1 cubic foot sealed box with ridgid walls, and a solid mounting baffle...and you'd have some very nice mid bass! But those foam baffles? Like i said...they make great speaker umbrellas in the door
Yeah that totally makes sense. I'm getting a pair of Infinity Kappa 6x8's.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Let the Fun Begin

Originally Posted by mtu_f150
Yeah that totally makes sense. I'm getting a pair of Infinity Kappa 6x8's.

what i would try and do if i was you...would be to make the mounting area as ridgid as possible. People have even used non-hardening modeling clay around the mounting baffel of the speaker to deaden it as much as possible! you might find it benificial also to put the dynamat directly behind the speaker on the outer sheet metal of the truck...this way the rear waves wont cause additional vibration of the panel which in turn could add its own sound and add a negative coloration to the music.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Have heard about people using tuperwear or however u spell it to make an enclosure inside the door because you can't use wood, because of rain water. Then take a deadner and do the inside and out and seal it to the door with silicon.
Also as said before most of the time the drivers designers mean for these to e ib or infinant baffle speakers. So all is needed is to seal the front wave from interacting with the back wave and deadin the door behind the speaker heavily to reduce loss from panel movement
I just recently used acoustical foam or egg crate behind the mids and noticed an improvement but the old saying goes beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Last edited by bigshane90; 03-23-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

May I also suggest second skin. I liked it better than dynamat I also liked hushmat a little better than dynamat

Quick Reply: Baffles vs. Dynamat