Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

AVH-P1400DVD 2010 XLT Install w/Sync

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVH-P1400DVD 2010 XLT Install w/Sync

Installed the Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD this last night/this morning. I decided on the P1400 as I use and like Sync, so additional Bluetooth functionality was not needed, and HD radio is pretty barren in San Antonio.

Components:
Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD
PAC MS-FRD1 (Sync interface)
PAC SWI-PS (Steering wheel controls)
Sirius SCC1 Tuner (Complete POS)
Pioneer CD-SB10 Sirius Bus Adapter (Complete POS)
Pioneer GEX-P920XM (XM radio tuner/adapter)
Scosche 010FD1438B Dash Kit

First things first, huge shout-out to Troutspinner for answering my questions via PM and his patient, cool answer when I had a senior moment last night regarding the OEM display.

The last full install I did was in 1982, when I installed a Kraco cassette deck in my 1968 Chevelle, so there was some prolonged periods of cursing and muttering. Overall, though, easy install. The only issue I had is when I opened up the head unit box and saw the Pioneer supplied wiring harness with 14 loose wires to connect. I mistakenly thought that all harnesses would be supplied by Crutchfield.

No big deal, however. Wire colors are standardized, so it was just a matter of matching colors, stripping and crimping.

Here's where I'm hoping to answer a few questions that keep popping up over and over when installing the PAC MS-FRD1 and PAC SWI-PS:

1. Download all instructions from pac-audio.com. Do not rely on the printed instructions included with the components. I cannot stress this enough.

2. The MS-FRD1 and SWI-PS come ready to go, pre-wired and ready to connect to each other. No clipping of the brown or purple loop is needed, no resistors need to be installed on the SWI-PS. Plug them together and you're set.

3. If you only install the SWI-PS and do not install the MS-FRD1, you'll have to go the loop clipping/resistor soldering route.

4. Connect the SWI-PS to the MS-FRD1.

5. The PAC LCD display is not needed. I did not connect it - it's currently sitting in the shipping box in my garage.

6. Wire up the Pioneer harness to the PAC harness. Take your time and do it right - solder or crimp. Twisting and taping is a no-go.

7. Pull headunit bezel off the dash (lots of pictures already on the forum on how to do this), connect the Ford harnesses to the PAC harnesses and you're ready to go.

8. SWI-PS programming took the longest to accomplish.
a. Hold down the program button on the SWI-PS, turn on ignition.
b. Release program button when SWI-PS is solid red.
c. Program the SWI-PS for version two. Not 9 as the instructions state. To program, press the program button twice. The LED will blink twice after you do this, confirming that you set for version 2.
d. Follow the order of button programming that you hopefully downloaded from pac-audio.com. There are more steps that you have steering wheel controls. When you need to skip a function, press the program button on the SWI-PS and move to the next function.
e. After you have finished programming the SWI-PS, it will blink at you. You're done programming.
f. It took me 8 tries to get this done correctly. Lots of muttering and f-bombs where thrown.
9. Install the new headunit in the dash, wrap the ten million loose wires up with zip ties/velcro/whatever (do it nice and neat, now).

10. Test all functionality.

11. Groovy

12. Pop all the connectors off the OEM dash bezel, snap/screw into the Scosche dash kit (Torx bits are needed to get the AC/Heat module in and out).

13. Test for climate/radio functionality one more time. Give it the smell test to see if anythings burning.

14. Snap the dash components back together, put the screws back in the dash and you're done.

OK, on to the Sirius/XM fiasco.

I've gotta have satellite radio - have been a Sirius subscriber since 2006. If I don't listen to Mike & Mike in the morning on ESPN on the drive into work, my day's already started out bad. Habits are hard to break.

I ordered the SCC1 and CD-SB10 to keep the Sirius functionality that I already had with the PAC audio integration kit to the OEM headunit. What I didn't know is that the SB10 functionality with Pioneer headunits blow. 1 (yes, one) line of text on an display meant for multimedia. I was not amused at this point. I ended up scrapping the Sirius install and when to BestBuy this morning and picked up the Pioneer GEX-P920XM and switched over to XM Radio. Much, much better integration. Channel, Artist, Title, etc., all display on the Pioneer HU.

The cost of doing this ended up as a wash. The Sirius CD-SB10 is going back to Crutchfield since it's a POS, and since my wife bought a new Expedition a few weeks ago, I flipped my already-paid-for Sirius subscription over to her Expedition which takes effect when her free trial period ends.

The install of the Pioneer GEX-P920XM is very straightforward. Run the antenna - mine is in the same place my Sirius antenna was, under the dash tray on top. Wire up the 12v constant (needed to keep the station pre-sets from disappearing ever time you turn off the ignition), ground to metal, plug in the antenna, Bus adapter and power connector. Done.

I was going to take a ton of pictures, but it's so straightfoward, none are really needed.

Except for the finished product:

All that's left is to order and apply the carbon fiber wrap to the Scosche dash kit that Troutspinner and a few others have done, as well as install a backup camera. I'm spoiled now that I've driven my wife's Expedition which has the backup camera. Must have.
Attached Thumbnails AVH-P1400DVD 2010 XLT Install w/Sync-20120428_121737.jpg  

Last edited by ReverendZJ; 04-28-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

"The MS-FRD1 and SWI-PS come ready to go, pre-wired and ready to connect to each other. No clipping of the brown or purple loop is needed, no resistors need to be installed on the SWI-PS. Plug them together and you're set."

So does your Pioneer power off when you use SYNC or mute? My Pioneer, when I had one, powered down and the brown wire had to be clipped and reconnected.I can't remember where to.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:56 PM

Yep, powers down and then right back on.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

It should not power down, it should just mute. Look into the clipping of that wire. I forget if it is brown or purple, I think brown.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by troutspinner
It should not power down, it should just mute. Look into the clipping of that wire. I forget if it is brown or purple, I think brown.

Exactly. It will mute and not turn off if wired correctly. PAC will give you advice if you call them
Old 05-12-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by ReverendZJ

Except for the finished product:

All that's left is to order and apply the carbon fiber wrap to the Scosche dash kit that Troutspinner and a few others have done, as well as install a backup camera. I'm spoiled now that I've driven my wife's Expedition which has the backup camera. Must have.
It looks like you lost the clock from your in-dash display and it's stuck on DVD. Is that true. My HU install did the same thing. Do you know of any way to get the clock display back?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Quality

It looks like you lost the clock from your in-dash display and it's stuck on DVD. Is that true. My HU install did the same thing. Do you know of any way to get the clock display back?
The clock feeds from the OEM head unit, I'm not aware of any way to get the time to display on the factory screen. The time displays the Pioneer HU.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ReverendZJ
The clock feeds from the OEM head unit, I'm not aware of any way to get the time to display on the factory screen. The time displays the Pioneer HU.

The FRD1 shows DVD when you use it with an aftermarket HU.

Quick Reply: AVH-P1400DVD 2010 XLT Install w/Sync