Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Audio Upgrade - Pricing

Old 08-16-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Upgrade - Pricing

So I've had my 2013 F150 Platinum for about a year and have decided it's time to do something with the audio system - the Sony setup just seems to be lacking - ot's Ok at best. I am huge into home audio/HT, but somewhat of a novice at car audio.

Went to a local shop today, thinking of starting with some Focal, JL audio, or Infiity speakers to put in the front doors. Figured I'd go step by step, adding a second set to the rear later. The owner was pretty confident that simply replacing the stock sony speakers would be a small step forward, where adding an amp, a DSP, and a sub would be a much better direction. He recommended the following:

Mosconi DSP
JL Audio XD700/5
JL Audio CP108-W3v3 Sub
Misc Wiring/4 AWG Power Kit

So……..$1689 parts, and $680 Labor later, I was looking at $2517 out the door.

I had figured on walking in and spending around $400-600 on some speakers "out the door."
Am I way off base thinking that by replacing the door speakers will be a dramatic improvement. He expalined the need for the DSP and the Amp - which I totally understand. I do want quality audio - but I am also into price/perforamnce. I can equate this to home audio very easily, I know there is a huge point of diminishing return in home HT, and I'm thinking that may be the issue witht this recommended $2500+ system (which doesn't even include door speakers).

I did a little looking online and found the parts he recommended at lesser prices. But then I'm dealing with an install, whcih I want nothing to do with.

Can I ask what are your thoughts on this recommended set up? Is it overkill for a 40+ year old who wants clean, clear audio, without the necessity of rattling the cars next to me at a stop light?? It seems like a lot of $$$, much more than I was originally thinking

Thanks in advance
Old 08-16-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

He's recommending some very pricy equipment. Unfortunately, if you have no desire to do an install you pretty much have to buy your equipment from him. Shops severely dislike installing equipment that you bring them and the install price would go up significantly if you don't buy from them. While the JL amps are good they are severely overpriced due to their popularity. You can get the same performance for 1/3 the price. I could put you together a great system including speakers for $1500 but you would be on your own for install. Perhaps you have a friend who knows how to install?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:00 PM

I priced out the following on Amazon, would this set up work? How do you think the performance/upgrade would be from the Sony? I found two local shops willing to install.
Am I missing something - what issues would I be facing?

Thanks!

JL Audio CL441DSP CleanSweep OEM Audio Interface
$215.99

SK6241 - Stinger 4 Gauge 6000 Series Power Amplifier Installation Kit
$64.99

JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3
$239.94

Rockford Fosgate R600X5 Prime 5-Channel Amplifier
$232.88
Old 08-18-2014, 01:22 AM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The price sounds about right for getting a quality system. One thing people make a mistake on is buying expensive speakers for the rear doors. Just get a better set for the front. Music at a concert is in front of you, not behind you. I've ran a single set of component speakers that MSRP around $1,500. Start with front speakers and go from there. I personally would do a 5 channel amp with processor and run the front active and a sub in the rear. If you want rear speakers I would keep them and factory power. I would also look into the JL TW3 12 for our trucks. $5-800 for speakers and sub. $3-500 for an amp and $2-500 for a processor. And if you don't personally want to deal with install and tuning I highly recommend sticking to a shop and getting their warranty that comes with a little higher price. Maybe just try a few shops to get estimates. Stay away from the obvious horrible best buy and ovation shops.

Last edited by Robert8252; 08-18-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

I don't see new door speakers anywhere in your pricing. IMO that should be done first. Then if you want more improvement proceed with the amp, etc.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

I've got a whopping $800 or so dollars in my entire setup in my 2013 Platinum and think it sounds a world of difference better than the stock crap that Sony put in there. I didn't want to go all out in this truck and just wanted a much cleaner sound with of course some bass in the back to go with it.

- Infinity Reference in all 4 doors (factory tweeters remain)
- MB Quartz 400x1 amplifier for sub
- AudioControl Lc2i sound processor/line out converter (using factory sub harness for signal)
- 12" sub box w/ amp rack integrated built out of 3/4" MDF from Ebay
- Rockford Fosgate P3 shallow 12" dual 2 ohm sub wired to 4ohm for amplifier

I did the install myself of course and had a majority of the wiring available from prior installs I've done, but it takes all of 2-3 hours to do it and it sounds light years better than stock without getting too crazy into the wiring and messing with the factory Sony amp.

The speaker upgrade to either the front two or all four doors will be a noticeable difference. I personally didn't see the need to spend so much more money on a larger or additional amp and a larger/more complex sound processor when the stock Sony amp pushes a good set of aftermarket door speakers just fine. My personal preference anyway
Old 08-18-2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
I've got a whopping $800 or so dollars in my entire setup in my 2013 Platinum and think it sounds a world of difference better than the stock crap that Sony put in there. I didn't want to go all out in this truck and just wanted a much cleaner sound with of course some bass in the back to go with it.

- AudioControl Lc2i sound processor/line out converter (using factory sub harness for signal)

I did the install myself of course and had a majority of the wiring available from prior installs I've done, but it takes all of 2-3 hours to do it and it sounds light years better than stock without getting too crazy into the wiring and messing with the factory Sony amp.

The speaker upgrade to either the front two or all four doors will be a noticeable difference. I personally didn't see the need to spend so much more money on a larger or additional amp and a larger/more complex sound processor when the stock Sony amp pushes a good set of aftermarket door speakers just fine. My personal preference anyway
+1
Old 08-18-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB

If I understand this correctly, you're using the sony amp to run the Infinity aftermarket speakers abd a mono amp to push the sub?

This sounds like a logical first step. What is the purpose of the Lc2i of the sony is running the door speakers? Is it just for the sub (sorry I'm a newb at this). Thx
Old 08-18-2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Acaps
If I understand this correctly, you're using the sony amp to run the Infinity aftermarket speakers abd a mono amp to push the sub?

This sounds like a logical first step. What is the purpose of the Lc2i of the sony is running the door speakers? Is it just for the sub (sorry I'm a newb at this). Thx
He used it for just the sub
Old 08-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Acaps

Yes it is just for the sub. You need a signal to be sent to the aftermarket amp and in a factory setup, there is no such thing. The Lc2i takes the input from a speaker (or sub harness in my case) and manipulates/converts it to the RCA red/white signal that the amp needs.

The Lc2i also has a feature in it that eliminates the sub signal drop off that occurs with the stock Sony setup. At a certain volume level, the factory system cuts out bass in hopes of preserving the speakers. This processors eliminates that so you never have the bass drop off that would occur if you had a cheap LOC in there and just wired it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio Upgrade - Pricing