Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Anyone not running rear speakers in a Screw?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Anyone not running rear speakers in a Screw?

I am thinking about changing up my system and going active with a DSP or possibly a new HU that will handle sound processing.

With some research on other forums, it seems most guys run 2 or 3 way up front and just a sub in the rear of their vehicles. Is anyone running their Screw like this and skipping rear doors altogether?

Would I see any real benefit in "fill" with the rear doors while using a DSP? Could it actually hurt more than it helps with staging?

Thanks,

troutspinner
Old 02-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Seņor Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You will notice the difference if you remove the rear door speakers all together.

For the front passengers the rear speakers provide the extra needed dimension. Rear passengers will feel like they are still on the bass drum.

Try it out. Put the fade all the way to the front and see how you like it.

What kind of system are you going for? Clarity, ultimate performance, Bass head? All three have different setups. Most important is HU choice, Amp and crossover setup. For speakers once you get into to better materials you can make any of them sounds good with the right frequency settings.

Clarity = HU, Components up front, Coax in back, 8 or 10 in sub, 4ch amp for doors, mono for sub.
Ultimate = HU, triaxial up front, components in rear, 10in sub, 2 2ch amps for doors, mono amp for sub.
Bass head = Either from above, change to two 12" subs, two mono amps, added battery, upgrade alternator.

Budget and desire are your guide.

-Jamie
Old 02-28-2014, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by MoDy150

Clarity = HU, Components up front, Coax in back, 10 in sub, 4ch amp for doors, mono for sub.

-Jamie
Thank you for the response. This is the exact setup I currently have and clarity is what I am trying to achieve. It is pretty nice as it is and many would tell me I am crazy to mess with it at this point but I have been bitten by the bug! My rear door speakers however are lacking in quality when compared to my fronts.

I have some time right now so I am going to go "mess around".

Thanks
Old 02-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Seņor Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice!

Then it comes down to tuning for your system.

There are some great videos on YouTube about amp and crossover tuning. Some of them use special devices, you there are others doing by ear.

Set your crossover points, that would make a big difference.

Make sure your amp gain isn't over powering anything.

-Jamie
Old 02-28-2014, 01:48 PM

I just tinkered and yeah, those rear doors are needed. I can turn up the gain on the sub and bring the frequency up to 100 and it creates a decent fill but not the sound I am looking for, though it does really show the quality/clarity of the Helix E62C's I have up front.

I think some higher quality rear speakers (currently RF Prime 1682's) to match the Helix up front is in order. I'll see how that sounds for a while and see if a DSP is in order down the road.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I removed the rears in my Scab when I did mine 4 years or so ago, I wouldn't do it again, even in a Scab it's nice to have the rear fill for daily listening.

You may just want to try bandpassing your rear doors, which would help keep your soundstage up front. That would also allow you to just get a nice component mid.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't run rear speakers in any vehicle I drive. I know sound is subjective, but I just can't believe anyone actually prefers the sound with rear speakers. My stereo is stock right now and I have it faded all the way to the front

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2014, 10:56 PM

Thanks Mody and Gator. Your comments forced me to do some reading today and watch some videos and I had that "I get it" moment about tuning.

I won't go into the nuances of where I went wrong (everywhere ) and used my new "I get it" knowledge and adjusted everything from scratch. I ended up filtering to what my ears liked which turned out to be around 65Hz and wow, what a difference in overall quality.

I just spent about 2 hours listening to it, all different genres of music and I am hearing things I have never heard in songs before that I listen to every day, and from directions that never before existed. I'll rescind my earlier thought about going active, it is perfect and downright impressive now and is able to go even louder now that I am properly filtering.

Just for yucks, my Pioneer HU has Sonic Control (Poor man's Time Alignment) so I tinkered with that too. While there was some benefit, the best setting was just +2 to the left telling me that my timing is pretty good. Pretty much useless if I have passengers enjoying the tunes as well though.

I won't doubt what a good DSP could do but I think I am finally happy.....Although I still want a new HU for navigation and such.

Thanks again,

troutspinner

Quick Reply: Anyone not running rear speakers in a Screw?