Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

anyone have experience in making or using speaker adapters?

Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default anyone have experience in making or using speaker adapters?

ive had 4 alpine type r 5x7 coaxials in forever but im ready to put a component set in. i was wondering if anyone has ever made any 6.5 inch adapters for the front door panels. im going to keep the 5x7's in the back for rear fill but ready to get better sound in te front. if anyone has any tips or ideas to help it would be great. thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cmw5e
ive had 4 alpine type r 5x7 coaxials in forever but im ready to put a component set in. i was wondering if anyone has ever made any 6.5 inch adapters for the front door panels. im going to keep the 5x7's in the back for rear fill but ready to get better sound in te front. if anyone has any tips or ideas to help it would be great. thanks
I used poly cutting boards as they are EASY to cut and will not warp with any moisture that gets into the door card. I did this in my last car just using the factory speaker upside down as a template. A jigsaw should be more than adequate for cutting as the poly is just a plastic and as it gets slightly warm with the use of the jigsaw it becomes even easier to cut.

I just went to the dollar store to get them hah
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How thick is the cutting board? How do the prefab ones compair to them?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Merty
How thick is the cutting board? How do the prefab ones compair to them?
There usually 1/2" or 3/4" thick, the ones you get from crutchfield or any inexpensive adapter will be simple molded plastic and not as strong, the ones I held you could bend then in your hand and of course broke eventually.

The inexpensive adapters are more than adequate, I just like using the cutting boards because there thicker and I like to make my own stuff :P
Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 PM

http://car-speaker-adapters.com/

i think im just going to order some from here to save me a little time and effort lol
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 PM

10 dollars for some pretty high quality looking adapters. 1/4" is fine because i dont want them to end up too thick and the speakers not being able to fit flush
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by cmw5e
10 dollars for some pretty high quality looking adapters. 1/4" is fine because i dont want them to end up too thick and the speakers not being able to fit flush
yeah like I said they'll be moooore than adequate, i just enjoy learning about and making my own things and it certainly ends up costing more money as well as takes more time but i just like the feeling of satisfaction after hahah.

Just make sure you throw a little deadener around the adapter where it meets the door panel so you don't get any air seepage. Or duct seal works fantastic and is a fraction of the cost.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 PM

the only experience in really building with audio is a sub box as ive made plenty of them. ill be deadening and door and might as well deaden the cab behind the sub box while im at it.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jbone14
yeah like I said they'll be moooore than adequate, i just enjoy learning about and making my own things and it certainly ends up costing more money as well as takes more time but i just like the feeling of satisfaction after hahah.

Just make sure you throw a little deadener around the adapter where it meets the door panel so you don't get any air seepage. Or duct seal works fantastic and is a fraction of the cost.
I agree with you about the satisfaction of building your own stuff. Do you paint the ones made from cutting boards-I'm assuming they are white. Or can you even see them through the panel?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Merty
I agree with you about the satisfaction of building your own stuff. Do you paint the ones made from cutting boards-I'm assuming they are white. Or can you even see them through the panel?
As a matter of fact each time I have needed them I have been lucky enough to come across black poly cutting boards. The poly wont take paint well, it doesn't take glue well either unless you use a high adhesive epoxy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone have experience in making or using speaker adapters?