Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Anyone amp just the front speakers?

Old 03-22-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone amp just the front speakers?

I am looking to improve sound on a budget (other priorities for funds), so I want to use a Rockford P600x4 to power the front speakers only while bridging the rear channels to power my sub. (75watts x2 and 300x1 @ 4ohms).

I will replace the OEM front speakers with some decent components and I already have an Infinity 10.1 sub collecting dust in my closet.

Has anyone done this and NOT been happy with it? I hate to invest in an amp only to find I want the rears powered as well.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:00 AM
Sh!tllbuffout

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Why not a 5 channel amp? 4x?? + 1x??? Sure it would cost more......

Fwiw i just use the HU to power the doors. There are a couple off options like the Alpine mini amp (forget model number, i know part of its 445) or Sony has a newish HU that supposed to put out 40w rmsx4 (MEX100BT iirc).
Old 03-25-2016, 01:30 AM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

I've read a few posts on here that said that powering the fronts with an amp really improves the sound significantly. If you already have that RF amp laying around why not go for it and try it out. If you need one let me know and I'll get you pricing on a higher quality one.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:13 PM
Load and Charge

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

In a true "audiophile" system, rear speakers are simply used for fill. You really don't need (or in most cases) want to amplify the rears unless you're just looking for maximum volume.
I've been around the block quite a few times with different systems of varying quality, from base level upgrades to component sets alone that ran 4 digits a set. In every case sound quality, staging and timing gets better when the rear speakers are are removed from the focal listening stage.
I would recommend replacing the rear speakers with something of a little better quality as the factory speakers are very muddy. If you have the Sony system, the factory amp will supply more than enough power to the rear door speakers to keep them sounding clean up to 3/4 volume (which is where your factory system is going to begin to clip anyway) and they'll function as perfect real fill without pulling the sound stage toward the rear.
Run your front door speakers off of your Rockford amp and you'll be good to go. P series Rockfords, in my experience, are usually VERY under-rated so you should be able to get some pretty descent power and clarity out of it coupled with a good mid-level component set.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only changed and amplified my front speakers. Like stated earlier the rear should be for fill only and really not heard that much from the drivers seat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone amp just the front speakers?