Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Any regrets taking apart truck for audio install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any regrets taking apart truck for audio install?

Hi all,

So I've been doing a lot of research on audio install for our F150. I personally have a 2012 F150 that will be going "under the knife" tomorrow by a professional installer. But the more I read, the more hesitant I am. People seem to be running into issues and personally I am worried about how the installer will mount the amp (he says he will glue it, which is pretty permanent because I told him no drilling) and the running of all the wires and the issue with the molex. I just don't want to have someone tearing into my $40k truck and then having vibration issues or any issues down the road. Would be even worse if it sounds like crap lol.

Anyone regret adding audio system?

BTW my system will consist of:
Polk DB6501 Component
JL 570-cxi (going to switch to Polk db691 down the road)
Alpine MRP-F300
AudioControl LC6i
Stock HU
Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What's he going to glue the amp to? The carpet, that sounds more destructive when you want to remove it. The 6-1/2 speakers require drilling new holes, and those 6x9, cutting and drilling. Are you haveing the speakers glued in place?
It's your truck, cut it up.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by larryt1026
Hi all,

So I've been doing a lot of research on audio install for our F150. I personally have a 2012 F150 that will be going "under the knife" tomorrow by a professional installer. But the more I read, the more hesitant I am. People seem to be running into issues and personally I am worried about how the installer will mount the amp (he says he will glue it, which is pretty permanent because I told him no drilling) and the running of all the wires and the issue with the molex. I just don't want to have someone tearing into my $40k truck and then having vibration issues or any issues down the road. Would be even worse if it sounds like crap lol.

Anyone regret adding audio system?

BTW my system will consist of:
Polk DB6501 Component
JL 570-cxi (going to switch to Polk db691 down the road)
Alpine MRP-F300
AudioControl LC6i
Stock HU
Why not put Polk 6x8s in the back now? Easy fit and you won't have to tear it apart again
Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope no regrets...
Installed replacement 6x8's so no cutting in the rear doors

And the self powered sub is snug behing the back seat with some velcro...
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did an install on an extended cab Silverado a few years ago. It had enough room between the seat back and the back wall of the cab for crossovers, amp, etc. I used a 1/2" sheet of MDF to mount the amp and equipment to and used a Liquid Nails products to secure it to the back wall of the truck. Never a problem with any of it.
If the installer is planning on gluing the chassis of the amp to any sheetmetal of your truck....that's a BAD idea and a good way to ruin an amp. In addition to preventing electrical problems the wood and covering (carpet) help to isolate it both electrically and from vibration.

Quick Reply: Any regrets taking apart truck for audio install?