Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Any Cleansweep or 3sixty install write-ups or advice out there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Expanding the Stable

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Any Cleansweep or 3sixty install write-ups or advice out there?

I want to start tackling the sound system project I have in mind for my truck, but cannot decide if I should just drop the truck off at an install shop and let them go to town, or tackle the project myself. I love DIY projects and have plenty of experience with sound systems, but integrating a factory head unit to an aftermarket amp these days has proven to be a bit of a daunting task for me lately.

And before we get started, I absolutely refuse to use a LOC because of the poor sound quality, so Im not even going to cut any corners by going that route..... just not worth it to me.

I tried to install a 3sixty in my Charer when I first got it, but could never get the tuning procedure to work right---what a nightmare it was. Finally just threw in the towel and bought an aftermarket HU and called it a day. However, with my new truck I really do not want to do anything different with the factory NAV/Sync system. I like the factory look of it, but the sound quality out of the stock Sony sub has GOT to go. So here are my questions, feel free to answer any of them that you can:

1) Are there any write-ups out there for how to install a Cleansweep or a 3sixty specifically on a new Ford truck? It seems as though examples of them being installed in other kinds of cars/trucks may not be anything like mine, so Im just curious if anyone has any pics or directions on how to get it done clean. I have a 2010 supercrew so if anyone has any advice to give that is specific to this truck, I'm all ears.

2) The epic debate---3sixty VS. Cleansweep. Which one and why? After the nightmare I had with that 3sixty.1 in my Charger and the exceptional reputation that JL has, I am leaning towards the Cleansweep.... but still willing to accept opinions.

3) Do I need one of the aforementioned processors from question number 2 AND a signal summing device? I thought the whole point of the 3sixty and the Cleansweep was to have such capabilities built into them...? If I also need one of these, which one do you recommend and are there any install write-ups or general advice for installing these as well?

My problem right now is that I can do 90% of the install both easily and comfortably myself, but the last 10% of it is so critical to the success of this sound system install that it makes me want to hand over control of the entire install to an experienced shop since most places wont even touch the job if they did not perform all of the work from the beginning. Let me know what you think!

-Pat
Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm looking at the diagrams, and I believe you can get away with no LOC at all. The Sony has an integral DSP/Amplifier module that takes LF, RF, and nav and outputs the cross-overed signals. I'd be willing to bet that preDSP signal is RCA/low level.

You could then use an external equalizer to correct the signal coming from the head unit. There are some good RTA apps on the iPhone/touch that can help with base tuning.

You'll probably need an extra, small amp to push the instrument panel/nav speaker.

PM me your email address and I'll shoot you the diagrams.

Quick Reply: Any Cleansweep or 3sixty install write-ups or advice out there?