Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Any advice before the final install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any advice before the final install?

Finally got all my parts in. I went with a Kenwood DDX5901HD head unit, Maestro RR unit with the harness and all the other accy's Crutchfield throws in. I also got the backup camera from camera-source.

So my question is are there any little things I should know about to tell my installer to do? Or any things that you wish you had done when you installed your systems?

I'm going to ask them to ground the parking break wire and hopefully they will do it. Not really sure what the rules are for installers around that. I also ordered a lightning to hdmi adapter I was going to have them plug in and run to somewhere in the truck that's convenient to plug my phone in from. Was thinking maybe run an extra USB extension into the glove box to leave a big flash drive plugged in at.

So got any tips or advice for me?
Old 05-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The parking brake wire is just a simple relay to be installed, if they won't do it it's not hard if you follow a diagram for the less electronic savvy. I don't beleive that radio has a HDMI input, would need either rcas or sometimes it will play straight through the usb. Always install the extra usb with an extension to the glove box for USB drive.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Robert8252
The parking brake wire is just a simple relay to be installed, if they won't do it it's not hard if you follow a diagram for the less electronic savvy. I don't beleive that radio has a HDMI input, would need either rcas or sometimes it will play straight through the usb. Always install the extra usb with an extension to the glove box for USB drive.
It's got a big HDMI call out on the box, and I just unpacked it and there is an HDMI/MHL port on the back.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 AM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert8252
No need for relay, you can just ground the light green wire on a Kenwood.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Funny Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching for days for a stereo harness and can't seem to find a good answer. So, since you are finishing an install, what do I need? Sorry for such a "noob" question. I have done many installs and have never had this much trouble finding a harness. Name is Jim by the way and and I am new to the forum. Lost of great info on here.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by T1ZZL3
I have been searching for days for a stereo harness and can't seem to find a good answer. So, since you are finishing an install, what do I need? Sorry for such a "noob" question. I have done many installs and have never had this much trouble finding a harness. Name is Jim by the way and and I am new to the forum. Lost of great info on here.
Well Jim
Why don't you start a new thread and tell us what truck you have, what current HU you have and what you are trying to install?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by T1ZZL3
Sorry I can't really help you out on that one. I ordered the HU from Crutchfield and I just added all the stuff they recommended for my setup since it's free with the HU purchase.

Then I had someone install it for me today so I have no idea what they actually needed.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:50 AM

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hckymeyer
Finally got all my parts in. I went with a Kenwood DDX5901HD head unit, Maestro RR unit with the harness and all the other accy's Crutchfield throws in. I also got the backup camera from camera-source.

So my question is are there any little things I should know about to tell my installer to do? Or any things that you wish you had done when you installed your systems?

I'm going to ask them to ground the parking break wire and hopefully they will do it. Not really sure what the rules are for installers around that. I also ordered a lightning to hdmi adapter I was going to have them plug in and run to somewhere in the truck that's convenient to plug my phone in from. Was thinking maybe run an extra USB extension into the glove box to leave a big flash drive plugged in at.

So got any tips or advice for me?
You're having it professionally done? Not really any advice, as they should know how to do it.

I did it myself. The hockey stick pieces on each side of the stereo have bolts underneath the airbag and instrument cluster surround. That part tripped me up, had to remove the airbag to get those off.

Supposedly you don't have to remove those, but I wanted to cover mine in Vinyl. Still working on that though

Quick Reply: Any advice before the final install?