Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Another thread on replacing factory speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another thread on replacing factory speakers...

Hi all,

I just got a 2013 XLT with Sync. Obviously, the sound is terrible with the stock speakers and I want to replace the speakers in all 4 doors and maybe even the tweeters. That being said, I don't want to add an amp or spend a bunch of money. What impedance and sensitivity do I need to optimally run the door speakers off the stock unit's power? Also, are the tweeters on the A pillar worth replacing also or do I have enough power for that. I can't find a lot of info on replacing this stuff without adding an amp so your input is appreciated!

Adam
Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 PM

Are you sure you have tweeters? I have a '12, and I was told stock speakers/sound don't have tweeters, but I swear I have a working tweeter in my passenger A pillar. I've ordered all the parts to replace all the speakers, so I'll find out if I'm crazy and I only have 1 working tweet or none in a week or two.

Anyway, I wanted to avoid getting an amp/sub, but it sounds like if you want do it right, you should at the very least get an amp. I may just swap the speakers and test them before installing the amp and let you know if you even need an amp. I was listing to the stock again today and it gets loud enough, just doesn't sound great.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by adambhicks
Hi all,

I just got a 2013 XLT with Sync. Obviously, the sound is terrible with the stock speakers and I want to replace the speakers in all 4 doors and maybe even the tweeters. That being said, I don't want to add an amp or spend a bunch of money. What impedance and sensitivity do I need to optimally run the door speakers off the stock unit's power? Also, are the tweeters on the A pillar worth replacing also or do I have enough power for that. I can't find a lot of info on replacing this stuff without adding an amp so your input is appreciated!

Adam
All 2013s have tweeters. Get yourself high efficiency component speakers for the front and 6x8s for the back doors. Most are 4 ohm.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedViktm (05-08-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 PM

Does that mean the front two door speakers will be different than the back two? And are the 4ohms ideal for the stock HU? Thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by adambhicks
Does that mean the front two door speakers will be different than the back two? And are the 4ohms ideal for the stock HU? Thanks!
You should go to crutchfield and get more info
Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '12 with tweeters. I plan (Spring) to replace just the speakers in the doors and leave the tweeters alone. Will this work? I don't really want to add an amp or anything else, just want better sound from my speakers...

In my old Sonoma I just replaced the 4 speakers with Pioneer speakers and the sound was so much better. Nothing else was necessary
Old 02-01-2013, 02:03 PM

Received 377 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman23
I have a '12 with tweeters. I plan (Spring) to replace just the speakers in the doors and leave the tweeters alone. Will this work? I don't really want to add an amp or anything else, just want better sound from my speakers...

In my old Sonoma I just replaced the 4 speakers with Pioneer speakers and the sound was so much better. Nothing else was necessary
Yes, it works fine. There is no factory crossover. Check out my thread on speaker replacement in my 2012 XLT.

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/new-do...f-pics-181202/
Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I just did a whole new system in my 2010, but I started with just door speakers...definite improvement but did not WOW me. Added the amp and head unit - boom, BIG difference....just fyi, an amp with good speakers will make a huuuuge difference in loudness and more importantly clarity and depth while simply replacing the speakers is just kinda "eh".
Old 05-08-2013, 12:34 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dahadster
Are you sure you have tweeters? I have a '12, and I was told stock speakers/sound don't have tweeters, but I swear I have a working tweeter in my passenger A pillar. I've ordered all the parts to replace all the speakers, so I'll find out if I'm crazy and I only have 1 working tweet or none in a week or two.

Anyway, I wanted to avoid getting an amp/sub, but it sounds like if you want do it right, you should at the very least get an amp. I may just swap the speakers and test them before installing the amp and let you know if you even need an amp. I was listing to the stock again today and it gets loud enough, just doesn't sound great.
The 2012's have tweeters standard on most models, at least XLT and above.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What did you do?

Adambhicks, what did you wind up doing? What would you do the same thing? I wasn't going to add an amp right away either and wondered what your results were.

Quick Reply: Another thread on replacing factory speakers...