Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Another newbie audio question - Front Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another newbie audio question - Front Speakers

I've been reading up for a bit on the factory F-150 stereo and installation for a few weeks. I already have a head unit in mind which will work for me, this one: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+iDA-X305.html

I'm going to be replacing the front and rear speakers in my screw as well and I've seen that some of the F150 models have the audiophile system that has factory front components. I have a base model that just has front 5x7/6x8's. I'm leaning toward getting some 6x8 coaxials for the rear, but I want to utilize the factory tweeter location in the front door. So I'm shopping some components and dont know if I can use 6.5's without doing any modification. I see that the factory components come with a blocking plate to mount the round speaker, but I dont have that because I have the 6x8's.

Will a 6.5 mid driver bolt right up to the front factory speaker location? Do most all aftermarket tweeters flush mount with the factory speaker grill (i dont want to cut holes) and is it hard to find a place in the doors for a crossover? Beyond that, should I spend the extra 15 bucks and buy foam baffles for the door speakers?

I'm not going to invest in much in the way of an amp for the door speakers. I understand that I'll get more performance from them if i did rather than use the HU to power them, but I dont want to go that route right now monitarily or labor wise.

Those are my questions and thanks in advance for the help. If anyone has any specific pairing info for a 6.5 component front and 6x8 coax rear set up for under 250 all the way around, i'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Car Audio FANATIC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

to keep it all under 250 will be tough but you can do it for sure if you're not wanting to do amps and all that. the only components i can think of that would be cheap would be the pioneer ones. they sound pretty good. can't buy anything too power hungry cuz then you'll just blow them by under powering them. in the back you can run pioneers again if you want or if you can find something else relatively low powered then that'd be good too
Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 AM

6.5s will not bolt right in the front, people here will tell you they do but no way. I just did my 05 supercrew with components in front and back and for the front you will have to build mounting plates and dremel plastic out. The back just needs a mounting plate. The tweeters will mount flush and crossovers fit nice in the console where the window and lock swithces sit.

If your not going to run off an amp i would spend more on some front components and less on the rears as you wont hear them to much.
You dont seem to be after super highend quality so dont worry about people saying buy focal because they are the best. Off a head unit i would just buy some jls or even mb quart speakers.

Jl makes some in a tr series that sound really nice for 109.00, you could also buy the matching 6x8 co-ax for 89.00. This will fit into your budget and will suit your needs, im sure you could go listen to them at a audio shop too. Look at sonicelectronix.com for those prices.

I wouldnt waste money on the foam baffle or even dynamat with what you are doing.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by dorth3769
6.5s will not bolt right in the front, people here will tell you they do but no way. I just did my 05 supercrew with components in front and back and for the front you will have to build mounting plates and dremel plastic out. The back just needs a mounting plate. The tweeters will mount flush and crossovers fit nice in the console where the window and lock swithces sit.

If your not going to run off an amp i would spend more on some front components and less on the rears as you wont hear them to much.
You dont seem to be after super highend quality so dont worry about people saying buy focal because they are the best. Off a head unit i would just buy some jls or even mb quart speakers.

Jl makes some in a tr series that sound really nice for 109.00, you could also buy the matching 6x8 co-ax for 89.00. This will fit into your budget and will suit your needs, im sure you could go listen to them at a audio shop too. Look at sonicelectronix.com for those prices.

I wouldnt waste money on the foam baffle or even dynamat with what you are doing.

Awesome. Thanks for the input. For the fronts, I know I dont want to get into cutting, but everyone says that rounds will always sound better than ovals. So is it worth stepping down to a 5.25 component set (they have mounting plates that require no mods) vs. a 6x8 component set in the front?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 PM

6.5s will sound better but if you dont want to cut and your not going to amp the speakers i would do either one. With out the amp i would bet you wont even notice a difference in which speaker is plugged in.
But if i was going to do it i would go with 5.25s with a plate.
Are you putting in a sub?
Old 04-19-2009, 01:40 PM

What is the stock RMS and max watts of our speakers on the base F150? Im trying to get an idea of how much more power im gonna get with some JL's im gonna pick up for the doros.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the stock headunit puts out around 12 watts rms, the jl's are very over priced so i wouldnt run strait for those just cause there "jl" that does not always mean that they are the best
Old 04-19-2009, 02:06 PM

Really its that low? Any idea what the stock speakers handle? I was looking between these two. I like the JVC in every aspect except the frequency is runs is not near as much as the JL. But the JVC has twice the power handling! http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105SARS...ures_and_specs
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136VR52...tml?o=p&tp=106
Old 04-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

peak power means nothing, dont even look at peak power

www.wooferetc.com

get some cdt 6.5" components, it will be the best sound you can get for the price, they sound amazing and have a amazingly low price
Old 04-19-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by dorth3769
6.5s will sound better but if you dont want to cut and your not going to amp the speakers i would do either one. With out the amp i would bet you wont even notice a difference in which speaker is plugged in.
But if i was going to do it i would go with 5.25s with a plate.
Are you putting in a sub?
OK. I'm doing the 5.25's.

I plan on doing a sub. Just an 8 with maybe 200-300 watts running it. Nothing big, just to get the lows balanced with the mids and highs in the doors.

Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply: Another newbie audio question - Front Speakers