Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

amp & sub trouble...

Old 03-16-2013, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default amp & sub trouble...

I have a 11 supercrew and I bought a kicker dx250.1 amp and Im using one of my older kicker cvr 10s in just a single truck box under the seat. my truck has sync but does not have the factory sub or anything, anyway im using the stock head unit and i bought a PAC converter. I hooked the amp and everthing up, I ran the converter to the passenger side rear door speaker wires going up the post, just using one speaker, on the converter I used the left side + and the right side - and the amp says it can turn on by the signal it gets from the speakers and not have to run a remote wire, anyway its not turnin on, I can bridge power from the power wire to the remote and the amp will turn on, but no sound, i have checked the wires and the connections seem fine, Im stumped, I have never used a converter I have always had aftermarket headunits with pre outs, soo.. any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by JHager
I have a 11 supercrew and I bought a kicker dx250.1 amp and Im using one of my older kicker cvr 10s in just a single truck box under the seat. my truck has sync but does not have the factory sub or anything, anyway im using the stock head unit and i bought a PAC converter. I hooked the amp and everthing up, I ran the converter to the passenger side rear door speaker wires going up the post, just using one speaker, on the converter I used the left side + and the right side - and the amp says it can turn on by the signal it gets from the speakers and not have to run a remote wire, anyway its not turnin on, I can bridge power from the power wire to the remote and the amp will turn on, but no sound, i have checked the wires and the connections seem fine, Im stumped, I have never used a converter I have always had aftermarket headunits with pre outs, soo.. any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks
So why are you using the left + and right -? No wonder it isn't working. You don't have a complete signal.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:20 PM

the guy at the stereo shop that sold the converter to me said that if I didnt want to hook up both sides of the speakers on the truck I could do that so I would have both RCA jacks working and get full range out of the converter
Old 03-17-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Unless the PAC you are using is alot different than most LOC's I've used, your amp should at least have some output using only one speaker for connection. The signal would either be L or R, depending on how you wired it.

On almost all LOC's you can get a mono signal using only one side of that channel. To get the full range (L and R ) of that channel you will need to hook the other side of the converter to the other speaker in the door.

As for it not turning on, I am assuming this is a voltage detection system. The one side might not allow enough current for the amp to sense anything, thus requiring both inputs.

I would suggest running a wire from ACC to the amp, always works better.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Note: your LOC/PAC is converting "High Level" input (speaker frequiences) and converting it to "Low Level" output ~2-4 volts for the preamp rca jacks.

Which IDK why you need this, your amp mentioned above already has "high level" inputs. I would use those and trash the LOC.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 PM

yea thanks for the help, like I said Ive never used one of these, and I think the amp said it needed to see maybe 6v before it turned on, but im just using it for a sub, i have no need for the full range, like I said that is how the guy at the stereo shop told me to hook it up and I didnt know if maybe I needed both sides for full power or something, thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Which PAC did you buy? Before I changed my HU and still used the factory HU I installed the PAC AOEM FRD24. It was all PNP. Plug in to factory harness. Run RCA and remote trigger wire to amp and that is it. No need to use speakers for input.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Tallyman89
Which PAC did you buy? Before I changed my HU and still used the factory HU I installed the PAC AOEM FRD24. It was all PNP. Plug in to factory harness. Run RCA and remote trigger wire to amp and that is it. No need to use speakers for input.
Do this and you will be doing the job correctly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: amp & sub trouble...