Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

AMP Question, Might be dumb but I could use your help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AMP Question, Might be dumb but I could use your help.

Is it common for 4 channel AMPs to be passive when off, IE, switched off when running Stereo off of battery and can still hear Stereo just not amplified? I purchased a decent low end amp and have not hooked it up yet and was curious if this is the case or if I can wire it in such a way that it does function like this.

I realize I would have to put a physical switch on the remote wire but that is no big deal to me.

P.S. I looked over the cheesy manual and it doesn't specify that it is or is not. It is a Dual XPE4700 800 Watt 4-Channel Amplifier.

Any help is appreciated,
Respectfully,
Richard
Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

The amp would have to be on for the sound to come out of the speakers. If your turn the amp off while the truck is running and the radio is on you will lose your sound.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:00 AM

That's what I was afraid of, is there anyway to wire it for both cases? Has anyone done this? The only way I can think of to do this is to wire it to a switched distribution block and then just switch it over but I wonder if any company makes one for this purpose, hmm.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard75013
That's what I was afraid of, is there anyway to wire it for both cases? Has anyone done this? The only way I can think of to do this is to wire it to a switched distribution block and then just switch it over but I wonder if any company makes one for this purpose, hmm.
NO. and why would you want to?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
NO. and why would you want to?
So I dont suck my battery dry fast when I have the engine off and listening to the radio, E.g. at the beach or the rental cabin but outside on vaca.

I can do it via a switched terminal but just didnt know if the amps today are passive like that nor if there is a switch like that on the market already.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It takes a while to kill the battery with the radio. In my old ranger I had two amps (4 chan and a mono for the sub) and I would leave it on for hours with no problem starting later. Have a good battey helps too.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard75013
Is it common for 4 channel AMPs to be passive when off, IE, switched off when running Stereo off of battery and can still hear Stereo just not amplified? I purchased a decent low end amp and have not hooked it up yet and was curious if this is the case or if I can wire it in such a way that it does function like this.

I realize I would have to put a physical switch on the remote wire but that is no big deal to me.

P.S. I looked over the cheesy manual and it doesn't specify that it is or is not. It is a Dual XPE4700 800 Watt 4-Channel Amplifier.

Any help is appreciated,
Respectfully,
Richard
I have a single amp powering twin 15" in my 67 impala.

I got a battery that was 100 CCC more than needed and a 1 farat cap.

While the car took a second to power the system, when i went somewhere i was fine with it.

My car would last cranked all the way up for 7 hours while SHUT OFF. i tested it all out in a pallet party. Rap or rock... It lasts.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XS Power .... best battery on the market
Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my sub amp wired with the 12v ignition switch so that the amp would only turn on when the truck was running. It would not turn on when in accessory (turn the key to first position). I would be able to get sound out of the radio thru the factory speaker locations but the subs would not be on. Might be something you might want to look at. I tapped in under the steering column. Don't remember the color of the wire.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Markanth0ny
I had my sub amp wired with the 12v ignition switch so that the amp would only turn on when the truck was running. It would not turn on when in accessory (turn the key to first position). I would be able to get sound out of the radio thru the factory speaker locations but the subs would not be on. Might be something you might want to look at. I tapped in under the steering column. Don't remember the color of the wire.
Thanks, I'll look at that option.

Quick Reply: AMP Question, Might be dumb but I could use your help.