Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Amp Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Install

I know the answer seems pretty self explanatory, but here goes anyway.
So like a jackass I bought a sweet 5ch amp on Ebay cheap! but did not check the specs on size beforehand.. anyway, this thing showed up today and is: 18" x 9 1/2" and I've got a RE-Q5 which is 10" x 4" .. the RE-Q I'm sure will fit under one of the seats, the Amp.. I'm not so sure about. The box I'm going w/ is a MTX Thunderform, which I do not have as of yet.. Anyway, where do you guys usually mount the amps in these trucks, or- have I just got an amp that is way too big (physically) I measured the area where the jack sits and its only 16" wide. I'm wanting to integrate a sub and 4 powered components w/ the factory HU for a stealth install, so I dont want the amp visible from outside the truck. any suggestions would be good.. I'm not sure how much room the thunderform will take up.

06 Ford Supercab STX

Well aparently there is alot of room behind the seats?
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...2006_F150.html
Anyone do an install like this?

Last edited by just1pepsi; 04-28-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:38 PM

Behind the seat is where I usually install the amps on the 04+ f150's. That is definitly your best bet.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by just1pepsi
Anyone do an install like this?
There is room, I put a big 5 channel Eclipse amp behind my seat.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jbullerjr; 04-28-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:28 AM

If there is a power sliding rear window, you may have issues. The last one I did like that had two amps and we had to put one amp on the driver's side and one on the passenger's side.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 AM

I have a regular back glass, no power windows, etc.. so I'm thinking there will be room. My only concern is mount depth and heat dissipation off the amp. Aparently there is plenty of room. I'm thinking I may install acouple computer fans near the amp to move air across the heatsinks.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a good idea, and it would be fairly easy to wire in there. You can also go on ebay and find some prewired fans that will run right off 12 volt, and already have the proper capacitors installed.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jbullerjr
There is room, I put a big 5 channel Eclipse amp behind my seat.
What kind of clearance did you end up with between the amp and the back of the seat? is there breathing room?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of clearance did you end up with between the amp and the back of the seat? is there breathing room?
Not much room, but I only had the amp shut down one time in 18 months.
We were at the drive in playing the movie sound and it had been playing for about 3 hours (double feature) at about 65% volume. It came back on in 15 minutes.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:44 PM

I have a regular back glass, no power windows, etc.. so I'm thinking there will be room. My only concern is mount depth and heat dissipation off the amp. Aparently there is plenty of room. I'm thinking I may install acouple computer fans near the amp to move air across the heatsinks.
Installing a fan is definately the way to go. Instead of installing a computer-type square fan I would recommend a "squirrel" fan or crossflow fan. They push alot more air and because of the shape they work much better on the side of an amp. Something like this: http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

You can probably find it cheaper on Ebay but that site is blocked on my work computer so I couldn't find it there for you.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:59 PM

The only problem I see with mounting an amp behind the back seat is maintenance. If you have a problem with it it's a b1tch to get to. One thing I would do is check the fuse that is on the side of the amp (if it has one). Then use a lower amperage fuse in-line at the battery. Meaning, if the amp's fuse is a 30 amp use a 25amp at the battery. That way the one that's easy to get to will blow instaed of the PITA one.

Quick Reply: Amp Install