Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Which Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which Amp?

Hey fellas, I've got a 2010 Platinum with the upgraded Sony System. I just got a great deal on some Boston Acoustic SR80 components for the front. I am looking for a good amp and would like some suggestions. Thus far my limited knowledge has let me to these two. Any advice on these or other Amps? Also, If possible I would like to stay under $200

Alpine MRP-F300
Amazon Amazon

JBL GTO-504EZ
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Matt_TX; 03-16-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_TX
Hey fellas, I've got a 2010 Platinum with the upgraded Sony System. I just got a great deal on some Boston Acoustic SR80 components for the front. I am looking for a good amp and would like some suggestions. Thus far my limited knowledge has let me to these two. Any advice on these or other Amps?

Alpine MRP-F300
http://www.amazon.com/MRP-F300-Alpin...pr_product_top

JBL GTO-504EZ
http://www.amazon.com/Jbl-GTO-504EZ-...1907814&sr=1-1
I'm not a huge fan of Alpine's 4channel amps, especially the "X power" series. The PDX's are okay.

Recently, I have been to some Focal demo's and noticed they used Rockford Power series amps for almost all their shows. After seeing that I gave the Rockford's a try and I LOVE THEM. The SQ of the 4 channel amps will blow your mind. The crossovers work great with a processor but arent to bad to set up with a DMM or by hand.

Here's my suggestion; you could prolly find this on ebay or amazon for less than 200.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wk7B8CH...er-T400-4.html
Old 03-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

go with the pdx alpine they are very power effecient and clean sounding. im going to run all pdx amps in my truck
Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ibd2328
I'm not a huge fan of Alpine's 4channel amps, especially the "X power" series. The PDX's are okay.

Recently, I have been to some Focal demo's and noticed they used Rockford Power series amps for almost all their shows. After seeing that I gave the Rockford's a try and I LOVE THEM. The SQ of the 4 channel amps will blow your mind. The crossovers work great with a processor but arent to bad to set up with a DMM or by hand.

Here's my suggestion; you could prolly find this on ebay or amazon for less than 200.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wk7B8CH...er-T400-4.html
That Rockford looks Awesome! However it's a bit out of my budget
Old 03-16-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by nyterydrtuckn26ss
go with the pdx alpine they are very power effecient and clean sounding. im going to run all pdx amps in my truck
Sure the PDX's are very efficient, all class D amplifiers are. However, power efficiency and sound quality conflict there. Class D amplifiers have the worst THD+N and distortion out of all classes. Most class D amps are for subwoofers because they output large amounts of power while being relatively efficient on your electrical system. All PDX's are class D amps, this is kind of why they can output nearly the same power at the same impedances(2 and 4ohms).

Class A and B amps are usually the best sounding/ lowest distorted amps but are not that efficient and become hott quite often and use lots of power for the relatively low wattage they push out.

The Rockford I suggested is a class BD (making low distortion and great sound with high efficiency).

I found one on ebay for $170, so you arent looking at to much more than that lower end alpine.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 PM

Hey fellas found another one that is compact and under budget. Thoughts?

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Which Amp?