Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Alternate head unit location 2013 XLT

Old 05-20-2014, 08:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Alternate head unit location 2013 XLT

Anyone ever mount an aftermarket head unit in an alternate location? I keep having problems with the factory aux and usb ports not working (truck goes in again on Friday) and I'm thinking about just installing an aftermarket HU on top of the dash, in front of the center console or in the glove box. The only available dash kit not only looks stupid but is expensive. All speakers in the truck will be amped so hook up will be relatively easy and I couldn't care less about the craptastic Sync.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyGoat
Anyone ever mount an aftermarket head unit in an alternate location? I keep having problems with the factory aux and usb ports not working (truck goes in again on Friday) and I'm thinking about just installing an aftermarket HU on top of the dash, in front of the center console or in the glove box. The only available dash kit not only looks stupid but is expensive. All speakers in the truck will be amped so hook up will be relatively easy and I couldn't care less about the craptastic Sync.
Rusty Goat. IMO mounting an aftermarket HU anywhere but in the dash would look stupid. Is that the only problem you have with it? The usb and aux ports?
Has the dealer tried swapping out the ports or the radio to eliminate the problem?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Rusty Goat. IMO mounting an aftermarket HU anywhere but in the dash would look stupid. Is that the only problem you have with it? The usb and aux ports?
Has the dealer tried swapping out the ports or the radio to eliminate the problem?
The reasons for the aftermarket HU are the ports not working (I use a usb thumb drive for music) and for better sound quality/ adjustability. Having amp pre outs is also a big plus. I understand it may not look the best (have you seen the Metra dash kit ) but I can install the aftermarket HU to where it can't even be seen ie glove box and control it with a remote. A lot of classic car owners do this to have a modern HU while keeping the vehicle looking original.

At this point it's just a thought and not something I've made my mind up on if or how I'm going to do it.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyGoat
The reasons for the aftermarket HU are the ports not working (I use a usb thumb drive for music) and for better sound quality/ adjustability. Having amp pre outs is also a big plus. I understand it may not look the best (have you seen the Metra dash kit ) but I can install the aftermarket HU to where it can't even be seen ie glove box and control it with a remote. A lot of classic car owners do this to have a modern HU while keeping the vehicle looking original.

At this point it's just a thought and not something I've made my mind up on if or how I'm going to do it.
Yes I have seen the Metra and not impressed either. I would think the dealer ship could swap radios or usb ports or both to get it working

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternate head unit location 2013 XLT