Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Alpine S-Series 6x8's

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Alpine S-Series 6x8's

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with these Alpine speakers. I have never been a huge fan of Alpine but I found a good deal on the s-series 6x8's and installed them into my 2000 f-150. First impression was that I had wasted my money completely. I let them break in for 10 days and they still sound like crap. Terribly muddy bass and the mids and highs aren't very bright either. Basically the speaker makes a very dull sound and doesn't even push out a lot of volume which I thought they would because they're rated 3.6ohms instead of 4. Anyways I'm taking them out this weekend and putting in the cheaper Pioneer 2-ways that I knew I should have bought in the first place. Maybe they're not brilliant speakers but they can still play a bass line without breaking up and that makes all the difference to me.

P.S. One of the Alpine's blew after less than 10 days of use!
Old 03-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there type s speakers lack ANY bit of bass you could ever want and are only fairly loud high's wise, i suggest spending a little more money on a decent set of speakers instead of getting cheap ones to get you by right now
Old 03-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Car Audio FANATIC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how did you have them hooked up? alpine type-s ANYTHING needs to be on an amp. what kind of radio do you have?

there's a lot more to installing speakers than just four screws and connectors
Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to not base your opinion on a company when you use there cheap series.. put some type r's in the atleast. and do you have stock head unit? if so then thats holding them (or any other speaker) back..
I put some jl tr's in my buddies 2001 screw and after a week they were broken in and sounded great in the truck.. im definitely going with tr's
Old 04-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I asked several car-audio professionals in a couple different store as well as my buddy who's a resident guru and they all told me that I shouldn't have to amp those speakers. Of course if you want the best out of any speakers you should probably amp them but I don't have the luxury of $ right now for that. My head unit is a pioneer deh-p5900 which probably puts out 18-20w rms per channel which is a big step up from the factory head unit. I've done plenty of installs on my cars/trucks over the years with similar priced speakers that sounded good without an amp as soon as they broke in. When I removed them these speakers were starting to sound okay - but the pioneer's that I put in sounds that much better already so I can't say I'm totally happy with Alpine at all.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:15 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000xl_toronto
I asked several car-audio professionals in a couple different store as well as my buddy who's a resident guru and they all told me that I shouldn't have to amp those speakers. Of course if you want the best out of any speakers you should probably amp them but I don't have the luxury of $ right now for that. My head unit is a pioneer deh-p5900 which probably puts out 18-20w rms per channel which is a big step up from the factory head unit. I've done plenty of installs on my cars/trucks over the years with similar priced speakers that sounded good without an amp as soon as they broke in. When I removed them these speakers were starting to sound okay - but the pioneer's that I put in sounds that much better already so I can't say I'm totally happy with Alpine at all.
you got the bottom basement level alpine speakers...thats like saying that your total opinion of ford motor company is based entirely on the Ford Festiva.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
you got the bottom basement level alpine speakers...thats like saying that your total opinion of ford motor company is based entirely on the Ford Festiva.
+1^
but the type E is the base level. and why dont you give it more break in time?
could it be that the type S's will sound better once they are broken in. could it be that the pioneers break in faster and the alpines sound better once broken in?

Quick Reply: Alpine S-Series 6x8's