Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Aftermarket unit questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aftermarket unit questions.

Hello,
I have a 2011 screw with the basic radio single CD setup. I been thinking of adding an aftermarket unit with GPS and adding a back up camera.

I know nothing about aftermarket units as to what ones are good.
I'm not really looking for a full system overhaul, the stock speakers are fine for me, I just want more functionality in one spot.
CD(multiple), USB, Bluetooth, GPS, Radio, abulity to add a back up camera
Don't have the need for DVD.

As with most things you pay a premium for name brand.
I have seen some cheep $250 units on ebay, are they really bad?

I would like to hear about units other people have installed that would meet what I'm looking.

Thank you.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Also,
Looking at other posts I have noticed the normal display shows direction, "F150 built ford tough" and temp after you switch.
Can you make it so it doesn't constantly show "f150 bult frod tough", is there any unit that can patch into this display and show the station your on?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know a lot about the feature full units, but I'd take a look on a website like crutchfield for units that fit your needs. Then google the unit to find reviews and search around for a good price. That's more or less how I picked out my new unit.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 PM

I was looking around on amazon and ebay, thing is, there is just so many I just don't know where to start.

Was hopping to get pointed in some direction as to units to say away from or ones I cant go wrong with. Older models that might not have a feature (built in hard drive or something) that is just as good as a new one at half the price.

If I added a unit I would like to have the usb routed to where the sync usb is located, thing is I don't have sync.

Rather then then cutting my auxiliary input panel up and trying to fabricate a usb plug, anyone happen to know how much and where I can get a factory one ? (no idea what its called auxiliary usb panel thing)
(edit: part number for the USB bezel is 9L3Z-19C149-AA )

Also, will the aftermarket units turn off after 10min when I turn the key and/or open the door. I like not worrying about having to turn the radio off and killing the battery.

Last edited by Nervosa; 06-04-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added part number for bezel
Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Duck Huntin NC Redneck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually when we install a unit that has a rear USB, we run it into the glovebox....factory Sync USB would probably not be compatible with an aftermarket unit....or get a unit that has a front USB (like my Pioneer AVH-2400BT)

If installed with the proper wiring harness, then yes, the radio will power off just like the factory one

I saw in your earlier post that you were looking for a multiple CD option, don't get your hopes up on that. CD changers are a thing of the past in this day and age.

You're also not going to get an inexpensive unit if you want navigation, that really bumps the price up.

The best navigation units available in MY opinion are the Pioneer AVIC units. My buddy has the X930BT in his truck and it's REALLY nice

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-X930BT

I know that they're pricey but you really get what you pay for
Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

First question is whats your budget?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigRick85
Usually when we install a unit that has a rear USB, we run it into the glovebox....factory Sync USB would probably not be compatible with an aftermarket unit....or get a unit that has a front USB (like my Pioneer AVH-2400BT)
I just want to patch the units USB where the sync USB is so it looks OEM.

You're also not going to get an inexpensive unit if you want navigation, that really bumps the price up.

The best navigation units available in MY opinion are the Pioneer AVIC units. My buddy has the X930BT in his truck and it's REALLY nice

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-X930BT

I know that they're pricey but you really get what you pay for
How are the maps updated or can you not update them?
Do wiring harness come with the units or is that an extra thing I would need to get? I was under the assumption that you just buy a new one and put it in.

Originally Posted by JoeBoost
First question is whats your budget?
I'd like to be under 5-600ish for everything (camera, unit, bezel), the lower the better.
Most likely I'll buy something second hand to cut costs.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket unit questions.