Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Aftermarket stereo install help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket stereo install help

I recently bought a Pioneer DEH-33HD afetremarket head unit for my 2005 F150. When I went to install it I had no power, I found numerous wiring diagrams so I know i was putting the right wires together, but i still wasn't getting power. I tried to put the constant 12v wire and the ignition 12v wire together and then ran them to my trucks ignition wire and i get power when i turn the truck on. Is this method ok to use, and if not what can i do to get power the correct way?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

The 12V power wire can be connected to anything that CONSTANTLY has a 12+ charge. You could technically run some 12ga wire from the battery to the HU's power wire(with a 10-15amp fuse). It needs constant power to retain all your presets and memory functions. Moroever, the wire connected to the 12V power on the HU should never-not have current.

The 12V ignition/12v swithced power is only used to tell the HU when to turn on. In a sense, it is like an amps remote turn on lead. The 12v ign. ideally, will be connected to something that only turns on when your trucks ACC's are on.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by cclark22
I recently bought a Pioneer DEH-33HD afetremarket head unit for my 2005 F150. When I went to install it I had no power, I found numerous wiring diagrams so I know i was putting the right wires together, but i still wasn't getting power. I tried to put the constant 12v wire and the ignition 12v wire together and then ran them to my trucks ignition wire and i get power when i turn the truck on. Is this method ok to use, and if not what can i do to get power the correct way?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by cclark22
What ibd2328 said. You need to find a constant power on your truck to save your presents, etc. You can find one maybe at the cig liter.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo install help