Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Aftermarket Radio USB Cable

Old 03-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Go Fast or Go Home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Radio USB Cable

I'm looking at getting a Kenwood DDX616 with a rear USB connection. Where are you guys mounting your USB? Include pics. I can't decide if I want mine hidden or mounted next to my cig lighter (or in place of it) to look factory installed. I have the console shifter so that may not be a good place for a USB drive. Maybe hidden in the console or beneath the steering wheel behind the knee panel... I dunno. What do you guys think?

Kenwood DDX 616

Old 03-17-2011, 01:31 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the same HU... I bought the iPod adapter and ran it to the glove box. I also stuck the USB plug into the glove box so if I wanted to disconnect the iPod and plug in a USB stick I could do it easily. The other choices I had were the pocket under the "AUX"/SYNC port or one of the two pockets on either side of the HU under the coin holder or Cig lighter.... I didn't put it there so it wouldn't get bumped and broken.

In the Glove box it is out of the way and I never look at it... plus took 0 cutting to get it in there.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Go Fast or Go Home

Originally Posted by Hobbes80
In the Glove box it is out of the way and I never look at it... plus took 0 cutting to get it in there.
I kinda like that idea but I think I'd rather have it closer in reach. There's a little room between the side of the steering wheel and the dash. Prob enough room for a USB stick, but not if I decide to put a small hard drive on it later. I may have to stick with the console idea. There should be enough room under the cup holder to add a small pocket to the front of the console's insides. Then I could make a permanent mount for the end of the cable too.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Go Fast or Go Home

Another question Hobbes... did you have to get an antenna adapter for that Kenwood? I remember having to get one for my last install (1998!). If so, which one did you get? I ordered my HU earlier today but just now thought about the antenna.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did get an adapter, but i don't remember which one specifically. I ordered from crutchfield, so they included it.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Go Fast or Go Home

I ordered mine from onlinecarstereo. My door speakers and amp should show up today but it'll be the end of next week before the HU shows up. I tried to take some pics last night of the console and the area around the radio but it was too dark and I couldn't get the pics I wanted to show up. I did find my Sirius module though. Didn't even know I had one. lol
Old 03-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Go Fast or Go Home

OCS was out of the DDX616 units and can't get any more.

So, now I'm getting a Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD

I think it may be a little better unit and it was $90 cheaper, so I'm not as aggrivated as I was before. Doesn't have built-in bluetooth, but it does have 4v preouts where the Kenwood only had 2v. Still undecided on the USB location, but it will most likely be somewhere in the console. Will post a pic or two when that gets started.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting my 4300 on Wednesday.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Go Fast or Go Home

Originally Posted by 06attaker
Getting my 4300 on Wednesday.
I'm jealous. I placed my order last Thursday. Now it's Monday afternoon and everything is just now shipping out... except my wiring harness which is apparently on back order... WTH?! I think I'm gonna grab a harness locally and try to cancel the other if it hasn't shipped by the time the other stuff shows up on Friday.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone
I'm jealous. I placed my order last Thursday. Now it's Monday afternoon and everything is just now shipping out... except my wiring harness which is apparently on back order... WTH?! I think I'm gonna grab a harness locally and try to cancel the other if it hasn't shipped by the time the other stuff shows up on Friday.

Do you have sync and steering wheel controls?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio USB Cable