Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

After market speaker install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 07:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default After market speaker install

I have four new Infinity speakers to install in my 2014 XLT Screw. Since I've never had a door panel off and don't know if there's any sound deadening material there, do I need to add anything while I'm making the install? I just have the standard audio system and want to improve the sound without spending a lot. If I use some Dynamat, do I just put it around the outside of the speakers or put it all the way to the edge and run the mounting screws through it? Thanks for any help.
The following users liked this post:
eng45ine (01-21-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 10:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There's none, just a plastic sheet glued on. I'm in the process of getting some dynamat and adding it to the doors. I would just add one layer on the entire door. Maybe 37 SQFT for all 4 doors.

I'm also looking at the another company called RaaMMat.
eng45ine (01-21-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the info. After I put some Dynamat on each door, should I glue the plastic sheet back on? I just ordered some Dynamat off of eBay. I got 4 pieces each being 12"x36" for $57.50 and free shipping. That was the best deal that I found. Now I have to wait for warmer weather so I can put it all together.

Last edited by mac12; 01-20-2016 at 09:58 PM.
eng45ine (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mac12
Thanks for the info. After I put some Dynamat on each door, should I glue the plastic sheet back on? I just ordered some Dynamat off of eBay. I got 4 pieces each being 12"x36" for $57.50 and free shipping. That was the best deal that I found. Now I have to wait for warmer weather so I can put it all together.
Yes, replace the plastic sheet, its a weather barrier and will keep outside air from entering the cabin. The window gaskets do not seal completely and allows some water and air to enter the door
eng45ine (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 08:14 AM
Senior Citizen

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

If it is possible, I would appreciate seeing pictures as you begin this project and please reveal any issues that come your way during the process. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mac12
I have four new Infinity speakers to install in my 2014 XLT Screw. Since I've never had a door panel off and don't know if there's any sound deadening material there, do I need to add anything while I'm making the install? I just have the standard audio system and want to improve the sound without spending a lot. If I use some Dynamat, do I just put it around the outside of the speakers or put it all the way to the edge and run the mounting screws through it? Thanks for any help.
I recall reading that you don't have to dynamat the whole door, just a small fraction, like a 16" square piece. Gotta say these trucks are quiet and probably have some decent sound deadening already.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:36 PM

I did the rear doors first since I knew it wouldn't take as much of the Dynamat as the front doors would. I used what was left over from the rear doors to add to the front ones. I was able to cover all four doors from about three inches above each speaker to the bottom of each door with the 12 square feet I had. Each door has the heavy black poly glued to it. I pulled it up from the bottom to about 3-4 inches above the speaker opening and then added some rubber cement to the old sticky and pressed it back in place after I had installed the Dynamat. Someone had suggested using a tennis ball to smooth the Dynamat and the black poly and it works very well.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:03 PM

After getting prices ranging from 120-250$. I decided to do it myself and spend that extra $$$ on a graphics card. Overall from start to finish took me 4 hours. The front doors took me a little longer cause of the shape/size and of course the extra wires. Overall it was a pleasant experince and I wouldn't mind doing it again. I used around 26sq of Stinger roadkill material.
My speakers sound beautiful with the deadening.

Front door 2 sheets

Rear door 1.5 sheets
Old 02-09-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did I assume the dynamat would go on the door skin instead of the inside panel like the above picture?
Old 02-09-2016, 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=crabo;4556515]Why did I assume the dynamat would go on the door skin instead of the inside panel like the above picture?[/QUOTE

Theres diffent methods to applying sound deadening on doors. Some people apply to the inside/outside or both. They add multiple layers or just patches. People have different opinions, its your choice.

Quick Reply: After market speaker install