Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Advise on Good Nav system for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on Good Nav system for 2012

I have a 2012 Ford f150 EcoBoost SuperCrew with factory installed sync, Backup camera currently displaying in my rear view mirror. (please let me know if you need more detail/specifics.) What I want:
  • Excellent GPS Navigation (I get lost a lot) with real-time traffic rerouting ability (live in MN, twin cities)
  • Retain, if possible, steering wheel controls, work with and display existing backup camera on Navigation 7-8inch screen vs mirror.
  • Video Playback via USB port and DVD player....More video formats the better
  • intuitive interface/gui with that’s reasonably fast
  • price from $500 - $1000
  • any other functionality is a bonus, such as, speed limit alerts, play video while driving, monitoring gauges "thats just cool!!!" etc....

Don’t really care about audio, xm, satellite...etc. I typically talk on the phone via Bluetooth or listen to podcasts/audiobooks while driving.
One area I am struggling with is determining what accessories (IE idatalink maestro) is needed for my particular truck to provide the required functionality with the HU I am looking at.

For what it is worth, considering the AVIC-Z140BH or Kenwood DNX9990HD models

Again, thank you for any time and effort you can provide. I have been researching for a while and constantly going back and forth on what product I am going to decide on.

Last edited by techman; 02-10-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM

Default Deciding on Kenwood DNX7190HD, what accessories

After reading and reading I think I am going to get the Kenwood DNX7190HD. So, for accessories, would I still need to purchase the:
----iDatalink Maestro
----Scosche dash kit
----Antenna adapter???

Thanks for any help
Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not seen the navis in either unit but i did have the avh-p4300 in my truck and loved everything about it and my girl friend has a kenwood in her 4runner and i hate everything about it so imho i would go with the avic z140 that is the unit i plan in getting in the future and plus it is android compatible just like it would be with an iphone
Old 02-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Adam since you mentioned the AVIC-Z140BH and looked up the new AVH-X8500BHS and it looks pretty promising as well. My thing is there is about a $50 difference in price and the Z140BH seems to have a little more bells and whistles if you will. Care to give your take on these two models?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:06 PM

I ended up purchasing the Kenwood DNX7190HD refurbished. I THINK the only thing I really need is the antenna cable in order to get the unit working (correct me if I am wrong). I am not sure if it comes with a dash kit OR if that is something I need to buy separately. Maybe someone can chime in. otherwise I will wait till i receive and go from there.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by '04 FSU F-150
Adam since you mentioned the AVIC-Z140BH and looked up the new AVH-X8500BHS and it looks pretty promising as well. My thing is there is about a $50 difference in price and the Z140BH seems to have a little more bells and whistles if you will. Care to give your take on these two models?
Well it depends on what you are looking for, the avic is a navigation head unit and was built around that as the 8500 is a multimedia head unit. In my opinion i would go with the avic for the navigation because that is what i am looking for. As far as options they both pretty much offer the same thing except the 8500 has this thing that is new for pioneer called mixtrax, its suppose to give the effect of being at a club with the transactions of the songs. You can look both of them up on YouTube and get alot of info of the two.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by techman
I ended up purchasing the Kenwood DNX7190HD refurbished. I THINK the only thing I really need is the antenna cable in order to get the unit working (correct me if I am wrong). I am not sure if it comes with a dash kit OR if that is something I need to buy separately. Maybe someone can chime in. otherwise I will wait till i receive and go from there.
Were did you order from
Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 AM

I ordered it off of ebay. $715 after shipping and handling. I am hoping it comes packaged with a dash kit and antenna adapter, since that is really the only thing required (from what I read) to get the unit installed and working. If not, hopefully a local retailer will have something on hand so i dont have to order online and wait another 5-7 days for shipping the required accessories. I will have to check best buy or some other car audio install shops to see what they have in stock.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 PM

And audio shop should have one on hand with your antenna adapter
Old 02-12-2013, 03:01 PM

Ok, thanks Adam. Hopefully that will be all that is needed to make it operational.

Quick Reply: Advise on Good Nav system for 2012