Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Advice on system

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Advice on system

Long time lurker, first time poster.... The site rocks! I'm getting ready to upgrade the system in my 2009 F150 XLT SuperCrew. I'm not an audiophile, but I do appreciate good sound. My tastes are all over the map, but tend towards rock. I want quality sound with some bass. I'm keeping the Premium HU with SYNC, but looking at adding the following:

JL Audio C5 570x in all four doors
JL Audio XD400/4 for the sub
JL Audio Cleansweep as the LOC
Blaupunkt THb 200A for a powered subwoofer (don't want to lose the area under the seats)

This, in addition to the dynamat and necessary wires/cables is probably going to run $1800ish installed.

I'd love to hear the feedback on the system. Good setup? Is there something better for the money?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Last edited by Starboard; 04-17-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I assume you're using the xd amp on the door speakers rather than the sub. In that case, you'll have 300W of mids and highs, and only 70W of sub, I think you'll be very disappointed in the bass output.

Could you give up half of the underseat room for a 10? http://www.supercrewsound.com/commer...d=375&catId=58

I'd also recommend stepping up to component speakers in the front doors.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:50 PM

Gator,

Thanks for the reply. You don't happen to be a Seabee are you? I see Gulfport as your address....

Yes, the XD will be powering the doors. The sub was actually a late add, thought it got me something to fill in the lows. I really don't want to give up any of the space under the seats. I use it too often, even in addition to the bed. At least that is my "going in" position....

I tried to pick the door speakers on ratings/reviews that they actually did have decent bass. Will components up front complement or exacerbate my relatively small bass source?

For the $1500 price point, is there anything else that you would suggest (short of the sub under the seat)?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I also agree that components up front will make you happier. The tweeters are better higher up at ear level. How about these...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io+C5-570.html

Also regular two ways for the back would be good. These will save you a bit of money also.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o+C2-570X.html

The reviews on the sub look good so I think you should not be disappointed. I think it should fit your needs very good.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 PM

Thanks dnlow,

I actually started with the C2s, but then thought I should match the RMS power with the amp. That is what led me to the C5s. But, I've learned a bunch here regarding getting the "front stage" right and let the back fill the void. Going C2s saves me $150 easy...just about the price of the powered sub that I added along the way.... The price point is the same for the components as it is for the 2 way, so that is a logical swap. That area right in the front of the window (opposite the rear view) is a perfect spot for the tweeter I think....

Gator actually had me thinking about the separate amp/subwoofer under the seat option.... Glad you snapped me back to reality with the endorsement on the powered sub! As you know, very easy to get crazy with this stuff!

Thanks for the feedback!
Chris
Old 04-19-2010, 01:55 PM

I would say that the fact that the Blaupunkt is discontinued is a good sign that it was not a great product. I would assume it's performance would be rated lower than the stock 8" sub in the 04-08 audiophile trucks. The good reviews you're seeing are probably people who have nothing to compare it to, and are adding it to a stock unamplified system.

That said, if your 100% sold on using it, I would recommend at least using two of them. I just hate to see you drop that much money on your system and be completely lacking the low end. Have you seen the stock sony subs? They take up a fairly small area under the back seat and will probably perform better than the blau, especially stuffed behind your rear seat back. You could probably have a box custom made that will fit in a space similar to the sony with a super small enclosure sub.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 PM

Good point.... I'll check with my shop and see what they say about a behind the seat solution. You're right, no need to drop that kind of coin and come up 5 yards short.... Man, I was hoping this would be an easy validation! Not a mind blowing consternation!!!

Seriously, thanks. That is the whole reason I posted in the first place!

Chris
Old 04-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

JL Audio C5 570x in all four doors
JL Audio XD400/4 for the four doors

You might want to use the JL XD 600/1 for the sub. Very small and VERY impressive!

Last edited by Merlin; 04-21-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:57 PM

Since we're spending your money:

LOC: re-Q - MTX Bass Restoration Signal Processor $110
Front Doors: CTX65CS - Image Dynamics 6.5" Component Speaker System $190
Rear Doors: CTX57 - Image Dynamics 5 x 7" 2 Way Speakers w/ Silk Tweeters $130
Sub: ID10D2 V.3 - Image Dynamics 10" Dual 2 Ohm V.3 Subwoofer $160
Box: Supercrewsound single 10 $100
Amp: Kenwood ExcelonKAC-X4R $255 2 channels on front doors, rear bridged to the Sub, using the internal equalizer instead of the Cleansweep.
Wiring: knuconcepts.com 4 Channel 4 Guage - $60
Deadener: sounddeadenershowdown.com $250

Leaves $250 for install for a total of $1500
Old 04-21-2010, 05:26 PM

Okay Gator.... You're comments won me over, I'm all in....

Here is the finalized plan:

JL Audio CleanSweep
JL Audio C5-570 components up front
JL Audio C5-570X in the rear
JL Audio XD 600/6 (driving it all)
JL Audio 13TW5 in an enclosure under the seat (with disconnects in case I need to remove it)
Dynamat in all doors and along back wall.
Monster cables connecting it all....

The beautiful part is that he has both the C5s and the 13TW5 in stock and is giving me a killer deal....

Looking like the first week of May for an install. My wife is going to kill me when she sees this bill (looking at $2100 w/ install)....

Luckily she never drives my truck.....

Thoughts?

Chris

Last edited by Starboard; 04-21-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice on system