Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Add-a-Circuit keeps blowing lower (original) fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Add-a-Circuit keeps blowing lower (original) fuse

Does this mean there is a problem with the original accessory or circuit (which uses the lower Fuse Slot A)? Or could the problem still be with the new accessory or wiring that I added (upper Fuse Slot B)?

The original/host fuse is 5A, the new accessory fuse is 10A. It's the 5A one that keeps blowing (immediately when I turn on the power/ignition). The 10A fuse is fine. Does this mean the cause is a draw greather than 5A, but less than 10A? (Or does the Add-a-Circuit always cease working once the lower host fuse blows?)

The weird thing is that this setup has worked fine since June. All of a sudden the 5A fuse blew today and replacing the fuse doesn't fix it so I need to know where to start troubleshooting. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm no expert so, you know...
I guess there is a possibility it is the fuse tap itself, but if it was working fine, and it just started blowing the 5A, then it is probably whatever it is connected to. As a test you could disconnect the fuse tap, and the amp, and stick a 5A fuse in without the fuse tap to see if it still blows. If it doesn't, I'd buy a new fuse tap.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:40 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah, get the add-a-circuit out of the mix and see what happens.

I'm not overly familiar with the wiring inside of an add-a-circuit, whether it's parallel or serial. When the 5A fuse blows, does the device on the 10A also quit working? Sounds like a yes, so that would tell me it works serially. To me, it sounds like a bad idea to have the add-a-circuit on a fuse that has a lower rating than the added device might draw.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedViktm
YWhen the 5A fuse blows, does the device on the 10A also quit working? Sounds like a yes, so that would tell me it works serially. To me, it sounds like a bad idea to have the add-a-circuit on a fuse that has a lower rating than the added device might draw.
Yes, when the 5A (original) fuse blows, the new accessory (on the intact 10A fuse) stops working. I forgot to mention this important fact.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:33 AM

It's definitely the new accessory. I reversed the polarity/orientation of the add-a- circuit to the correct way, and the host fuse survives and the new accessory fuse blows. All the connections appear fine so I will need to trace the whole wire. Could it be an internal failure of the accessory too?

Last edited by BMWBig6; 08-25-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Could it be an internal failure of the accessory too?
Most definitely. If you can trace the wires (power and ground), and you can't find anything, then it's probably something internal to the accessory.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:52 AM

Thanks! I rewired everything (but re-used the accessory's pigtail wires and spade connectors), and even after taking power straight off the battery and using a different ground, it blew the in-line fuse every time as soon as contact was made. Does this point to the accessory itself as the problem (internal short, etc.)?
Old 08-25-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds that way.

Quick Reply: Add-a-Circuit keeps blowing lower (original) fuse