Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Accessory wire power

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Accessory wire power

Sorry if this is a topic that's been covered already but I could't find exactly what I was looking for when I searched the forums. I have a 2011 XLT Screw w/o sync and I just installed a Jensen VX6020 with Nav and BT and such yesterday. The main problem I ran into was that the harness does not have an "accessory postion" power wire for the radio. I spliced it into the passenger airbag wire for the time being, but do not want to leave it there. I looked and mostly what I found was that if it doesn't have power to it with the key off, it has to be all the way on in the "ignition" position. There has to be somewhere I can tap into to where I can just turn the key to "accessory" and have the radio work. I don't like having the key all the way on just to listen to the radio due to the fact that it'll run the battery down faster. Anyone have a place I can tap into to get accessory power without having to have the key all they way on?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:06 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by jooman07
Sorry if this is a topic that's been covered already but I could't find exactly what I was looking for when I searched the forums. I have a 2011 XLT Screw w/o sync and I just installed a Jensen VX6020 with Nav and BT and such yesterday. The main problem I ran into was that the harness does not have an "accessory postion" power wire for the radio. I spliced it into the passenger airbag wire for the time being, but do not want to leave it there. I looked and mostly what I found was that if it doesn't have power to it with the key off, it has to be all the way on in the "ignition" position. There has to be somewhere I can tap into to where I can just turn the key to "accessory" and have the radio work. I don't like having the key all the way on just to listen to the radio due to the fact that it'll run the battery down faster. Anyone have a place I can tap into to get accessory power without having to have the key all they way on?
Hi.

Hi. Welcome to the World of Canbus

Easiest AND safest way is, with a DVM or test light, find a fuse position in the SJB that is "hot in accessory & run" position. There are several. Then use an add-a-fuse to supply yer HU with yer newly added & fused feed.

BTW -You need to get that feed off the airbag circuit pronto. Bad juju.

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 05-22-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:13 AM

sweet thanks. what exactly is the SJB though?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 AM
MGD
former member

sweet thanks. what exactly is the SJB though?
Hi.

Smart Junction Box

A.K.A the ol' fusebox in the passenger-side kickpanel. One of 2 in yer truck ( the other is under yer hood).

MGD
Old 05-22-2014, 09:20 AM

ok thats what I was thinking. I've just never heard it call that before. I was actually thinking maybe the windshield wiper fuse but I can't remember if they get power just in accessory or ignition. I'll do some looking when I get home today. The 2nd plug from the stock radio is the CAN bus right? wouldn't there be power there somewhere?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:25 AM
MGD
former member

ok thats what I was thinking. I've just never heard it call that before. I was actually thinking maybe the windshield wiper fuse but I can't remember if they get power just in accessory or ignition. I'll do some looking when I get home today. The 2nd plug from the stock radio is the CAN bus right? wouldn't there be power there somewhere?
Hi.

Canbus is powered all the time. The switching is done via commands over that bus.

Simple probing with a test device will confirm the circuit's operation. Test lights are very inexpensive and are always a valuable diag tool addition fer yer toolbox.

There appear to be some 'accessory delay power' feeds...

MGD
The following users liked this post:
jooman07 (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 AM

OK that's what I figured. I work with data buses on aircraft so I figured there would have to be some sort of command for it to supply power. I'll look for a fuse that meets the requirements later today. I was just wondering if there was a specific one that a lot of people use that works.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Try fuse #38
Old 05-22-2014, 11:18 AM

yeah i was looking at that one in the manual. Its labeled as "delayed accessory - 110V power point, radio (am/fm). i'd rather have the delayed point so it will be more like factory and stay on till i open the door. I'm just unsure of the 110V part of it. I know the vehicle is 12VDC so thats where it throws me off.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:45 PM

Tried #38 but there is no power going to it at all.

Quick Reply: Accessory wire power