Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

? about using 2 different pairs of speakers

Old 02-26-2014, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ? about using 2 different pairs of speakers

I'm trying to figure out what speakers to get. Using stock HU, adding an amp and sub. I've read good things and would like to use Infinity Kappa 682. Also read good things about Rockford Fosgate Prime 1682. Be interested in knowing if its worth while to use both of these replacing stock door speakers and where to install the kappas(front or back doors). Trying to stay on budget I could use the $100 difference toward sub : /
Ty
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

You can get two pairs of Infinity Reference 6852 off of Amazon for just over $100 shipped to your door total. That's what I've got and they are powered by the stock deck with a sub and amp in the back.

$100 for 2 pair of speakers
$100 for MB Quart one channel amp
$100 or so for 12" shallow 4ohm Kicker sub
$79 for AudioControl Lc2i LOC that defeats the factory sub channel fade off
$150 for custom built box for passenger side mount with amp rack built in.

There are certainly much much better systems out there, but for a bit over $500 bucks, kinda hard to beat. I've had Fosgate speakers in prior trucks and they just weren't as good as the Infinity's in my opinion. The difference in the Reference versus the Kappa on a factory deck won't be noticeable enough in my opinion to warrant the price difference.
The following users liked this post:
jaxfish (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxfish
I'm trying to figure out what speakers to get. Using stock HU, adding an amp and sub. I've read good things and would like to use Infinity Kappa 682. Also read good things about Rockford Fosgate Prime 1682. Be interested in knowing if its worth while to use both of these replacing stock door speakers and where to install the kappas(front or back doors). Trying to stay on budget I could use the $100 difference toward sub : /
Ty
Don't mix brands
The following users liked this post:
jaxfish (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TJ- appreciate the info ..I'm assuming the amp is for sub only? And I have no idea what the audio control does. Looks like I have some reading to do

WYo- can't blame me for saving $100
Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

If you can get some components for the front you will thank yourself 100 times over. I had the RF 1682's in all 4 doors and they did a good job with an aftermarket HU but once I installed an amp and a sub they showed their limitations in range. I bought a nice set of components for the front (Helix E62C) and it made a night and day difference.

I still have the 1682's in the rear doors as fill and they do the job but I am still considering replacing them, just not sure with what yet.

troutspinner
Old 02-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxfish
TJ- appreciate the info ..I'm assuming the amp is for sub only? And I have no idea what the audio control does. Looks like I have some reading to do WYo- can't blame me for saving $100
Yes amp is for sub only. The audio control takes the audio signal from speaker wires and converts it into RCA outputs so the amp can have an audio signal. Line Out Converter is what things like this are typically referred to as. The Audio Control unit is just a fancier setup that allows a little more control and a better signal than some of the cheap LOC's.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by troutspinner
If you can get some components for the front you will thank yourself 100 times over. I had the RF 1682's in all 4 doors and they did a good job with an aftermarket HU but once I installed an amp and a sub they showed their limitations in range. I bought a nice set of components for the front (Helix E62C) and it made a night and day difference.

I still have the 1682's in the rear doors as fill and they do the job but I am still considering replacing them, just not sure with what yet.

troutspinner
X2!!!! Components will deliver an experience that is on a whole new paradigm, not just better. The Helix are a great set (not quite Focal and better than most of the rest.) I went with Alpines because of my wanted price point and performance.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with mixing brands..... Just match the outputs to the amp and right size the wiring with a perfect ground and you are good to go.

I am selling my infinity kappas because I went with components in the rear too (for a home theater experience that is overkill for most.) They are a very good speaker for balancing the soundstage with front components and a sub, too.

Last edited by jwanck11; 02-28-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ? about using 2 different pairs of speakers