Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

6X8 Speakers not fitting in 6X8 openings??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6X8 Speakers not fitting in 6X8 openings??

I have an 05 XLT Supercab and just bought some MB Quart 6X8's but when I tried to install them they wont go deep enough into the recessed hole in my front doors. Has anyone had issues with a speaker not fitting exactly in the factory spot but still mounted it either somewhere else or maybe shaved down the surrounding area till it did fit. These speakers also have pretty large crossovers and I'm not sure where to mount them, any ideas for that? These are the speakers I bought. Sorry I can't get the link to work for some reason but its Ebay item #270508312217

Last edited by Evil150; 01-23-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Evil150
I have an 05 XLT Supercab and just bought some MB Quart 6X8's but when I tried to install them they wont go deep enough into the recessed hole in my front doors. Has anyone had issues with a speaker not fitting exactly in the factory spot but still mounted it either somewhere else or maybe shaved down the surrounding area till it did fit. These speakers also have pretty large crossovers and I'm not sure where to mount them, any ideas for that? These are the speakers I bought. Sorry I can't get the link to work for some reason but its Ebay item #270508312217
You have a couple of options: get different speakers, buy adpater brackets, or fab up up your own brakets. As far as the crossover located them as close to the speakers as possible, double sided tape (thick foam based tape) works great for mounting them behind trim and under the dash.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Peel04
You have a couple of options: get different speakers, buy adpater brackets, or fab up up your own brakets. As far as the crossover located them as close to the speakers as possible, double sided tape (thick foam based tape) works great for mounting them behind trim and under the dash.
I really don't want to get different speakers. How can I buy adapter brackets? 6X8 to 6X8 adapter bracket??? These speakers are 6X8 its just the housing that holds them is taller then the recessed plastic part of the door. I'm wondering if I can mount them on the grill or if there will be a problem with the speakers not being sealed?? Something about infinite baffle I believe which is why subs have to be in boxes?? I'll take some pics pretty soon and show you what I mean.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 AM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Door spears are not even remotely sealed. So that is a non-issue. What do you mean by "mount them on the grill"? If you are talking about cutting out the grill on the door trim piece that might work. You could get some thick lexan or something and make a spacer to raise the speaker up so the back of it will fit.

Honestly, if you are dead set on keeping these speakers, I'd take them to a shop and get them installed. Skip Best Buy and go to a real custom shop. However, I think it would be far easier for you to re-sell those speakers and buy ones that will fit.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:45 AM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

The speaker openings in the doors are actually 5x7. they are usually able to fit 6x8. Your speakers must be true 6x8 and wont fit. Get different speakers. Get some round 61/2 " components. They will sound better and fit properly.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 PM

Crash and JJDH have good points. I'm using the Audiobahn ABC480 5x7 component set that fit perfect with no issues. But if your dead set on the speakers you have, you will have to modify the grill and add a spacer. It sounds like the depth of your speaker are too deep. So if your going to DIY make sure you make your cuts dead on, and if your not sure don't cut the grill take it to a audio shop. In the long run it will save you time and money trying to source and replace the speaker covers. If your like me you like doing your own work because not all custom audio shop do a great job. So, with that said get a good dremel or saw. Place grill back on the door and line everything up and mark what needs to be cut to fit the new speakers. Start in the very middle of your marks, make you initial whole where the center of the speaker will be, slowly work your way out, checking as you go to make sure your on target to get a precise and clean fit. This is a job that can not be rush and you must take your time to get a good result. Good Luck
Old 01-25-2010, 01:14 PM

Thank you all so much for your comments. I've read so many threads about speakers and never heard anyone say that they're 5X7 but fit some 6X8's. I kinda figured the not sealed properly wasn't really an issue. I was just quoted $75 for an install and talked him down to $60 with a lifetime warranty on the labor from a custom car audio shop. But still didn't want to go that route as Peel04 said I would prefer to do it myself just for better knowledge of the set up and my own personal satisfaction. It would make more sense for me to re-sell my speakers and get ones that fit properly however I've been waiting on these speakers for 2 weeks and am really impatient. (I'm not just upgrading, 1 of my speakers was disconnected and the cable ripped during an accident and another is completely blown so I've had a shady system for over 9 months now) I was talking about cutting the grill and putting it on there but thinking more about it now, it would be a lot of work with a possibility of screwing it up and even if it did work it would probably look extremely ghetto. Well once again thanks for the responses and I'll put some thought into it.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

6x8s and 5x7s are generally the same frame size. Our trucks are 6x8s like the rest of Ford's lineup.

I'm surprised they don't fit, you did leave the spacers in there, right? If you have a jigsaw, you could trace the speakers and cut out some MDF spacers for $20 in materials, and an hour or less.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 PM

Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 PM

Quick Reply: 6X8 Speakers not fitting in 6X8 openings??