Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

6X8 or components

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6X8 or components

Hey everyone. I have 2 10" clarion shallow subs under the back seat and it sound okay but I know it can sound better. I still have factory door speakers and wanted to upgrade, but I wanted to know what exactly is the difference between regular 6X8's and 6X8 component speakers?? It looks to me that the component speakers comes with 2 tweeters but i've seen 6X8's with tweeters built in them. So what is the difference??? I hope Loganberry see's this! He is the MAN when it comes to car audio stuff!!! Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:50 PM

C'mon people.... I know someone out there can help me out with this! I just dont wanna spend the money one something when I could have got something better! Your input is GREATLY needed!!!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A component speaker does not have the tweeter mounted inside the original cone. It is mounted seperate to allow the main speaker to be less distorted if that is what you are asking
Old 11-02-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by k.black
A component speaker does not have the tweeter mounted inside the original cone. It is mounted seperate to allow the main speaker to be less distorted if that is what you are asking
Ok but does that make components better??? They seem to be a little more expensive but I dont mind paying for quality. Or should I get the regular 3way 6X8's and get the tweeters seperate? I saw some tweeters for like $15.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:38 PM

It just matters what you are interested in. SPl or SQ? Personally I always go with component speakers
Old 11-04-2009, 12:08 PM

kepp in mind with components...you have to run a amp
Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2wdf250
kepp in mind with components...you have to run a amp
that's true to certain point, some components will work fine with only an aftermarket deck, but you'll never see their full sound potential. if you dont want to run an amp and have an aftermarket radio then take a look the less expensive comp sets like the alpines, they are nice sounding and dont require a lot of power, but keep in mind if you like your music loud then go ahead and get an amp for them, you and your ears will be thankful in the long run, I promise. plus they'll last longer on an amp. Now if you have a factory deck then I'd say go with some decent 2 ways and have fun. hope this helps, any ?'s feel free to ask. I'm no pro but know a little...lol.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:06 AM
steve gonzalez

if i was you i will go with components speakers i got that in my truck they sound better to me from personal experience i had a system on a honda civic before too and i had regular speakers not stock but aftermarket and then i upgraded to components sound was way better it has like a better sound bass and the voice sounds so clean when the sound comes out trough the tweeters
Old 02-14-2011, 08:02 PM

Ok here is the update! I'm running 2 10" subs on a bass amp and a 4way amp on my mids and highs! Plus I have a crossover seperating everything! I also got tweeters but not sure where to mount them! I have the 97-03 model so I dont have a built in tweeter spot like on some of the newer models. So do any of you older model owners have a spot for me to mount my twetters? Also pics will do a great deal of help!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mount your tweeters just in front of the interior door handles. This will be about 6" towards the front of the truck. You will have to drill a hole in the door panel. Measure twice, then drill. The door panel will be harder to put back on, but it will fit. This is the only place I could put them, without serious work.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 6X8 or components