Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

5x7 vs 5 1/4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5x7 vs 5 1/4?

Looking to replace the speakers in my 2011 screw. What are the pros/cons of 5x7s vs 5 1/4? Is one better than the other?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

5x7s are going to be a direct swap for you. 5 1/4's will require that you make a new speaker mount. Out of either mdf board, which is popular. Or something else. I used 1/4 thick cuting board material that i bought at target. Cut like butter with a hole saw, and jig saw. and wont degrade from moisture over time.

But round speakers will sound better that oval speakers. how much you will notice...is up to you. If you are looking for ease of install. just swap for 5x7's. If you want to go ***** to the walls.....5 1/4's...and even that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

5x7/6x8's sound good, but just don't have the definition and separation that a good 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 has. Take it a step further and components have even great separation and definition.

I started with Infinity Kappas in all 4 doors and that lasted about a month. I got rid of the ones in the front doors as they are just too low in the doors and don't have the brightness and sound that I wanted. I replaced the front doors with Boston SR60 6.5" components and mounted the tweeters up high in the door panel and angled them to face the driver and passenger. I could have just as easily done the SR50's which are 5.25", but I wanted a bit more mid bass and decided with the bigger midrange speakers.

The mounts I made actually used what came with the Boston speakers and then filled in void areas with sound deadening material for strength and better sound.

Ultimately its just your preference and what kind of sound you are looking for.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted - question answered before I posted
Old 09-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by B-EZ
Can you elaborate on the sound difference? Is the 5 1/4 a cleaner/crisper sound? Does one produce better highs/lows/mids than the other or would the 5.25 be better all around? Thanks!
sound waves are "round" as apposed to "oval"

5x7s are oval, and 5 1/4 are round. a round speaker producing round sound waves will sound "better" than an oval speaker producing a similar wave. Because it will be distorted to an oval.

If you arent adding an amplifier or anything, it will be a lot easier to swap 5x7s and you honestly probably wont be able to tell the difference compared to a 5 1/4.

*edit* No need to be bashful and erase your post. This is a place to ask questions and learn!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, I'm not too sure to be 100% honest but I would also like to know. I am guessing however that with 5 1/4 you can get many more choices, and higher end speakers, vs. 5X7 which are not as common.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 6.5" Pioneer comp set and it came with adapters to fit 5x7/6x8 openings. So if you are looking to go with a 6.5 or 5.25 you can find some that already have adapters so you dont have to make them. I personally didnt use the ones that came with mine because I made some out of cutting poard material like previously mentioned. I wanted to make them as thick and sturdy as possible because of the amount of deadening I have done to the doors.
If you are not going to be adding amp or amps on the speakers and just want a good easy upgrade you can find pleanty of choices what are direct drop ins. There are even some 5x7 comp sets if you are interested. I know in the past JBL had a nice set.

Quick Reply: 5x7 vs 5 1/4?