Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

5x7 or 6x9??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5x7 or 6x9??

So im about to amp up my system in my truck, which in nice words, is weak. Especially after having a 93 prelude with a 12" sub and kenwood Excellon 6 speaker system (All in a car smaller then a civic...)

Now im no pro on the speakers or amps them selves, but the install is fairly basic (I'm an electrician). The questions is, i have a pair of 6x9 kenwoods left from my prelude, do i use them and get another pair of the same. Or, do i get the Alpine Type-R's 5x7's? i want clarity as well as loudness, and the extra couple hundred bucks for new speakers isnt a big deal. Just want to know the major differences between them besides size.

Any input would be great! And if it helps i plan on getting 2 10" type-r's or fosgates....in a few months

Also, how hard is it to cut the factory speaker slots bigger to fit the 6x9's?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/instal...-doors-164614/

There's a step-by-step on fitting 6x9s in the front doors. Personally if you're going the custom route already, I'd get a good set of 6.5" components and make an adapter plate to mount the mid in the factory spot and put the tweet up in the sail panel or the A-pillar.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by helotaxi
https://www.f150forum.com/f30/instal...-doors-164614/

There's a step-by-step on fitting 6x9s in the front doors. Personally if you're going the custom route already, I'd get a good set of 6.5" components and make an adapter plate to mount the mid in the factory spot and put the tweet up in the sail panel or the A-pillar.

I also have sitting in my basement a set of 6.5" Kenwood Excellon components...but what would i do for the back then if i were to put the components in the front? another set of components and then the subs will take care of the lows?
Old 08-11-2012, 03:55 PM

I don't run rear speakers at all. Front speakers and the sub(s) will do all you need. If you must have rears simply use the factory rear speakers running off the head unit.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by helotaxi
I don't run rear speakers at all. Front speakers and the sub(s) will do all you need. If you must have rears simply use the factory rear speakers running off the head unit.
Im not to sure if i want to just upgrade half of the system
This is what i have left from my prelude,

Kenwood KFC-X1730p
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uvEXatH...nwood-Excelon-
KFC-X1730P.html

Kenwood KFC-X693
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFCX...avf=N&skipvs=T

So I'm thinking make a bracket and put the components in the front, with tweeters on the pillars, and the 6x9's in the back just to boost it back there as well, since i often do have people in my back seat.
Then my 2 10's under the seat im hoping...

Like i said im not very knowledgeable with speakers themselves, so any input would be appreciated!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

I did components (6 1/2") in front and coax(5x7") rear, then installed an amp for the sub. Go with what you have since you have them. See how they sound and if you want more then buy better.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Marba
Im not to sure if i want to just upgrade half of the system
If the fronts are powered right, the rears are irrelevant. Even for the people sitting in the back. The stock speakers would be good enough for them because, let's be honest, if they mattered they would be up front
Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tallyman89
Go with what you have since you have them. See how they sound and if you want more then buy better.
True enough! I think im going to install them next weekend!

If the fronts are powered right, the rears are irrelevant. Even for the people sitting in the back. The stock speakers would be good enough for them because, let's be honest, if they mattered they would be up front
Yeah..not too many people that dont really matter ever sit in my front seat! but since i have the 6x9's i think ill use em

By any chance do you know if the stock headunit has rca outputs for an amp or will i also need a new H/U?

And I've searched, but to no prevail, does anyone know if 10" alpine type-r's will fit under the back seats?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 PM

The stock HU doesn't have RCA outs. Don't know of one that does. Doesn't mean you need a new HU. There are plenty of various lone-out converters that will convert the high level signals from the stock HU to line level RCAs.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

I and many others here installed the PAC AOEM FRD24 for RCA to an amp. Search for the PAC on here. Plenty of info. PNP install.

Quick Reply: 5x7 or 6x9??