Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2015 XLT SCREW, Aftermarket head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 XLT SCREW, Aftermarket head unit?

Hi everyone,

I have read through a ton of threads, and used the search feature till my eyes are red from reading.
I see a lot of builds with people tapping of the signal from factory, but I have not seen one build yet with an aftermarket head unit.

My thought on this is:
Sure, you can grab the signal from the factory unit and send it to some high end processor like Bitone or Helix, but you're starting with a signal that is coming from the cheap head unit, and has already gone through a cheap DAC.

Wouldn't it be better to start with a high end signal?
Some of the better head units have time alignment and dsp built in, so you could run straight to the amps.

Has anyone done this yet? Where's a build log? What problems did you run into with camera integration, steering wheel controls, etc.?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:26 AM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by luvdabass
Hi everyone,

I have read through a ton of threads, and used the search feature till my eyes are red from reading.
I see a lot of builds with people tapping of the signal from factory, but I have not seen one build yet with an aftermarket head unit.

My thought on this is:
Sure, you can grab the signal from the factory unit and send it to some high end processor like Bitone or Helix, but you're starting with a signal that is coming from the cheap head unit, and has already gone through a cheap DAC.

Wouldn't it be better to start with a high end signal?
Some of the better head units have time alignment and dsp built in, so you could run straight to the amps.

Has anyone done this yet? Where's a build log? What problems did you run into with camera integration, steering wheel controls, etc.?

Thanks!
I'd like to do the same thing, but don't think there are any good options yet. I believe there was a unit a little while back that was from China and it had problems.....
Old 03-07-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kenwood, Alpine, and Pioneer all make large screen head units that I *think* would work.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:36 AM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by luvdabass
Kenwood, Alpine, and Pioneer all make large screen head units that I *think* would work.
I don't believe it's that simple. Especially with the factory audio control buttons set below the screen in their own section. I also don't believe there is a separate dash kit you can buy yet..... Once available, I would definitely like to go this route.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Pienstar
I don't believe it's that simple. Especially with the factory audio control buttons set below the screen in their own section. I also don't believe there is a separate dash kit you can buy yet..... Once available, I would definitely like to go this route.
You are correct. No dash kit yet.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:00 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure if this helps or not.

I've contacted Metra/Schosche/Crutchfield and they all stated that there is a dashkit in the works but none as of yet.

If that helps anyone.

Edit: I mean specifically for the 2015-2016 models with the low end stereo (4.2") screen.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:14 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Gorilla978
Not sure if this helps or not.

I've contacted Metra/Schosche/Crutchfield and they all stated that there is a dashkit in the works but none as of yet.

If that helps anyone.

Edit: I mean specifically for the 2015-2016 models with the low end stereo (4.2") screen.
Don't hold your breath
Old 03-20-2016, 12:18 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have no doubt one of the companies will. Don't forget the F150 market is huge, it would be financially dumb not to.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wrong thread

Quick Reply: 2015 XLT SCREW, Aftermarket head unit?