Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2015 Sony system upgrade - center channel speaker or NOT?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2015 Sony system upgrade - center channel speaker or NOT?

What are you guys doing with your center speaker? I'm upgrading to some 6.5 components up front and 6.5 coaxials in the rear. My local audio shop told me to not upgrade the center speaker and just unhook it all together. Their reason was it actually takes away from true left and right audio. I'm looking for opinions on this
Old 03-01-2016, 12:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just visited a local custom shop and they recommended not doing anything to it....said it just helps make it seem like music is coming from front of vehicle .
Old 03-02-2016, 01:18 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm going to disconnect mine...only way if have one is if I went active and replaced the speaker so I can tune it.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Shelbie67
I'm going to disconnect mine...only way if have one is if I went active and replaced the speaker so I can tune it.
I was thinking of doing the same, but thought I read somewhere that it is connected differently from the rest of the audio system and may be used for MFT/Bluetooth commands, etc...??

So if you disconnect yours, check and make sure all that other stuff still works, and if so, I may disconnect mine as well.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:08 AM

I'll know later today and will post my findings
Old 03-02-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryH22
I was thinking of doing the same, but thought I read somewhere that it is connected differently from the rest of the audio system and may be used for MFT/Bluetooth commands, etc...??

So if you disconnect yours, check and make sure all that other stuff still works, and if so, I may disconnect mine as well.
Everything works without center channel, if you are using the front high level signal out.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

depending on how far you go with your upgrade, it may or may not be used.

If you keep your stock amp/dsp - then you might as well keep it.

If you are converting your signals into a DSP or higher end LOC - then you don't need it. You won't get any signal to it anyway.

Center channel's make up for poor imaging out of the factory. Or, they call it some fancy marketing term that bose might use. Music, by nature, is not in surround sound. It's true left and right.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect, thanks for the reply!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I did my setup in my 2013 F150 I left the center channel connected and could hardly hear it. I left it connected because at the time I believed that you needed that center channel for some SYNC functions but I'm unsure if that holds true in the 2015's. Either way disconnecting is a good option because worst case scenario you can just reconnect it if you lose any SYNC stuff you use and just turn the center channel down. In short though - for car audio center channel really isn't important so no need to spend money on it if you're replacing 4 door speakers.

As another mentioned if you were going active and going for some audiophile type setup you would probably reconsider.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:15 PM

Everything works without the center channel....I left it on in the beginning and it totally threw the soundstage off, once unplugged, huge improvement!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Sony system upgrade - center channel speaker or NOT?