Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2015 F150 XLT SuperCrew Audio Upgrade & Sub Behind Seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 05:12 PM
Truck Noob

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2015 F150 XLT SuperCrew Audio Upgrade & Sub Behind Seat

Been searching the forums since I got my truck at the end of the year. In every car I owned I have replaced the factory system with a new head unit/speakers/sub. Well, I knew when buying my Ford I didn't want the Sony system/upgraded speaker package due to the "hassles" i was reading about with aftermarket integration. So I picked up my XLT with just the My Touch ford 8inch navigation screen.

Just like many others in this forum the sound was muffled/muddy/etc. I really needed a new system. I saw the new 2015 speaker upgrades only gave an 8 inch and i wanted at least a 10, if not a 12. I came from 2 10's in a custom box i made.

Well space behind the seat is limited, especially if you raise the seats and want to use the space under it. I built a couple of test pieces/boxes and found that there is room if you can angle the speaker at the bottom, unfortunately the box would be thin and probably sound like crap.

I had just got my truck bed lined at Ameraguard in San Antonio (they do all mods/bed liners/lights/grills/painting/Tinting, etc. for dealers in San Antonio). The owner, Danny, also owns Tint World Leon Valley (each Tint World is a franchise, so be careful) and I asked him if they built custom sub enclosures. He said yes and sent me to his Sound Guy who looked at my rear seat area.

I told him I wanted a 12 inch sub that would be usable in ANY position the seat was in, folded down/up/regular. SO here is the result. A custom fiberglass sub woofer box with a 12 inch Special Application Memphis Audio Sub woofer (15SA12D4). There is at least 3/4 of an inch between the sub and bar so the speaker can be used.

Here is the sub behind the seat

its hard to see, but my fingers are not even touching the sub, I was just holding the bar with my fingers, if I put my fingers farther in, I touch the sub rubber edge, but not the actual sub, but its got PLENTY of room to move.

When the seat is in the up position you can fit your fingers easily between the sub and the back bar/seat.

the box looks and sounds amazing. I then went to his Tint World Location (down the street) and they installed my Amps/Speakers/Fosgate 3Sixty.3 (not pictured).

I was a little hesitant about Memphis Audio because the lack of reviews, however when searching I found many little comments/replies that put them over kicker/others, and even one where a person stated they sounded better than Focal's....not sure what speaker/line. Like any manufacturer, they carry Good, Better, Best....etc. I went with their Power reference series. 6x9 components in the front and 6.5 coaxial in the rear. (PRX69C)

Well all I have to say is WOW. These guys were amazing. I watched as they took apart my truck carefully and wired every thing through the truck. Tons of zip ties/custom speaker mounts/screws/fuses/4 gauge/sound deaden-er, etc.

In the past I have done my own installs, but this time I couldn't pass up the deal that Ameraguard/Tint World gave me, not only that, but if I messed something up it would cost me more, where as they have all the tools/products/connections to get anything fixed if anything went wrong. I'm so glad I did. One thing that I learned was that just because you have great speakers, doesn't mean they will sound great. Placement/installation makes a huge difference and these guys knew their stuff.

In the end I am very happy with it, still need some more tuning done, but that will be done towards the middle of the week. I can't wait, the system as it is now sounds amazing, as if I was actually there on stage with some songs. My wife (who didn't want me to do anything) listened to it and agreed that it sounded amazing...(it was a surprise, I thought I was sleeping on the couch )

If your in/near San Antonio, you should hit these guys up. Every time I was there they had tons of dealership trucks/cars they were modding so the dealership could sell them. Pretty much any mod you can think of, these guys do it and they stand behind their work. I now have a truck that looks stock, but have premium audio integrated.

My next integration will be a tablet with a USB to Optical that plugs directly into the 3Sixty.3. Hopefully this will sound awesome.
The following 3 users liked this post by F150XLTFX4:
Bucksnrt (04-13-2016), Salvaddore Banne (04-15-2021), Toddman38 (10-11-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 12:15 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad you are happy! looks like a decent install! I'm starting my stereo install over the next 2 weeks, i'm hoping to get the same response from my wife
Old 02-15-2016, 04:01 AM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice setup! Thanks for sharing.
The following users liked this post:
Salvaddore Banne (04-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it could have been done without all the cutting though
Old 07-16-2016, 07:41 PM

Received 600 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by F150XLTFX4
I had just got my truck bed lined at Ameraguard in San Antonio (they do all mods/bed liners/lights/grills/painting/Tinting, etc. for dealers in San Antonio). The owner, Danny, also owns Tint World Leon Valley (each Tint World is a franchise, so be careful) and I asked him if they built custom sub enclosures. He said yes and sent me to his Sound Guy who looked at my rear seat area.

I told him I wanted a 12 inch sub that would be usable in ANY position the seat was in, folded down/up/regular. SO here is the result. A custom fiberglass sub woofer box with a 12 inch Special Application Memphis Audio Sub woofer (15SA12D4). There is at least 3/4 of an inch between the sub and bar so the speaker can be used.

its hard to see, but my fingers are not even touching the sub, I was just holding the bar with my fingers, if I put my fingers farther in, I touch the sub rubber edge, but not the actual sub, but its got PLENTY of room to move.

the box looks and sounds amazing. I then went to his Tint World Location (down the street) and they installed my Amps/Speakers/Fosgate 3Sixty.3 (not pictured).

I was a little hesitant about Memphis Audio because the lack of reviews, however when searching I found many little comments/replies that put them over kicker/others, and even one where a person stated they sounded better than Focal's....not sure what speaker/line. Like any manufacturer, they carry Good, Better, Best....etc. I went with their Power reference series. 6x9 components in the front and 6.5 coaxial in the rear. (PRX69C)

Well all I have to say is WOW. These guys were amazing. I watched as they took apart my truck carefully and wired every thing through the truck. Tons of zip ties/custom speaker mounts/screws/fuses/4 gauge/sound deaden-er, etc.

In the past I have done my own installs, but this time I couldn't pass up the deal that Ameraguard/Tint World gave me, not only that, but if I messed something up it would cost me more, where as they have all the tools/products/connections to get anything fixed if anything went wrong. I'm so glad I did. One thing that I learned was that just because you have great speakers, doesn't mean they will sound great. Placement/installation makes a huge difference and these guys knew their stuff.

If your in/near San Antonio, you should hit these guys up. Every time I was there they had tons of dealership trucks/cars they were modding so the dealership could sell them. Pretty much any mod you can think of, these guys do it and they stand behind their work. I now have a truck that looks stock, but have premium audio integrated.
How much was the box? How much did they charge you for the install of the rest of the stuff?

I have not found a box for my JL 10" and will call these guys (can you PM me their number?)

Thanks

Old 12-07-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F150XLTFX4
Been searching the forums since I got my truck at the end of the year. In every car I owned I have replaced the factory system with a new head unit/speakers/sub. Well, I knew when buying my Ford I didn't want the Sony system/upgraded speaker package due to the "hassles" i was reading about with aftermarket integration. So I picked up my XLT with just the My Touch ford 8inch navigation screen.

Just like many others in this forum the sound was muffled/muddy/etc. I really needed a new system. I saw the new 2015 speaker upgrades only gave an 8 inch and i wanted at least a 10, if not a 12. I came from 2 10's in a custom box i made.

Well space behind the seat is limited, especially if you raise the seats and want to use the space under it. I built a couple of test pieces/boxes and found that there is room if you can angle the speaker at the bottom, unfortunately the box would be thin and probably sound like crap.

When the seat is in the up position you can fit your fingers easily between the sub and the back bar/seat.

In the end I am very happy with it, still need some more tuning done, but that will be done towards the middle of the week. I can't wait, the system as it is now sounds amazing, as if I was actually there on stage with some songs. My wife (who didn't want me to do anything) listened to it and agreed that it sounded amazing...(it was a surprise, I thought I was sleeping on the couch )

My next integration will be a tablet with a USB to Optical that plugs directly into the 3Sixty.3. Hopefully this will sound awesome.

Hi are you able to fold the bottom seat cushion up? I have a 2017 Super Duty which I think has the same cab and trying to figure if I can fit larger than 8 inch shallow mounts behind there. I noticed when you fold the bottom seat cushion up, it actually pushes the seat back rest back even further. Is it the same on the F150's?
Old 12-07-2016, 06:43 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by tuclai
Hi are you able to fold the bottom seat cushion up? I have a 2017 Super Duty which I think has the same cab and trying to figure if I can fit larger than 8 inch shallow mounts behind there. I noticed when you fold the bottom seat cushion up, it actually pushes the seat back rest back even further. Is it the same on the F150's?
If you Took The Time, to read his Post! Youd know the Answer, to your question!
Old 12-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Just out of curiosity....

What exactly is it that moves rearward when the seat bottoms is raised?

Is this a SuperCrew only feature.

My SuperCab when the seat bottom is raised, the back of the seat bottom folds down/forward.

Is the hinge different with the different cab/seats?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:18 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by SixShooter14
Just out of curiosity....

What exactly is it that moves rearward when the seat bottoms is raised?

Is this a SuperCrew only feature.

My SuperCab when the seat bottom is raised, the back of the seat bottom folds down/forward.

Is the hinge different with the different cab/seats?
Might be the same, the Screw seat bottom when lifted for open floor space. The bottom comes back.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Ok, so when the seat bottom is raised up. The bottom of the seat back moves rearward?

I raised and lowered mine and I couldn't tell it moves at all. Just the seat bottom folds up bringing the back of the bottom forward.

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 XLT SuperCrew Audio Upgrade & Sub Behind Seat