Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2014 FX2 Amp Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2014 FX2 Amp Upgrade

Hello all. I'm sure this question has been asked many times before but please bear (bare) with me. I have a 2014 FX2 Supercrew with the factory Sony setup. I have already upgraded the factory sub with an SAS Bazooka Double Ended tube with dual 8"s and replaced the stock subs with Rockford Fosgate drivers. I replaced the four door speakers with Rockford Fosgate 6x8s. For me, the sound is great but the factory Sony amp falls short. What I want to do is add a Memphis Audio 16-PR 100.4 to give the 6x8s a little extra push. I have heard that messing with the center channel upsets the navigation so I want to stay away from that.

Has anyone added an amp for the door speakers and left the center speaker and tweeters alone? If so, how. I have seen several write-ups but none are what I would like to accomplish. I also would like to stay away from having to purchase a DSP. A link(s) for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ABBYSDAD
Hello all. I'm sure this question has been asked many times before but please bear (bare) with me. I have a 2014 FX2 Supercrew with the factory Sony setup. I have already upgraded the factory sub with an SAS Bazooka Double Ended tube with dual 8"s and replaced the stock subs with Rockford Fosgate drivers. I replaced the four door speakers with Rockford Fosgate 6x8s. For me, the sound is great but the factory Sony amp falls short. What I want to do is add a Memphis Audio 16-PR 100.4 to give the 6x8s a little extra push. I have heard that messing with the center channel upsets the navigation so I want to stay away from that.

Has anyone added an amp for the door speakers and left the center speaker and tweeters alone? If so, how. I have seen several write-ups but none are what I would like to accomplish. I also would like to stay away from having to purchase a DSP. A link(s) for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.
You can find my thread on here it's not really a how to but I did use a DSP and you will have to if you want to retain SYNC features. Well perhaps you could get away with something a little cheaper - maybe a JL audio cleansweep but it'll take some experimenting.

Here is a brief overview of how mine is wired:

Cut wires after factory sony amp, I tapped the front mids and rears and sent to DSP.

Center channel is still hooked up and playing as factory - I have retained all SYNC features no issues. I did disconnect the tweeters though - I ran my own.
The following users liked this post:
ABBYSDAD (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 10:33 AM
2014 FX4 EcoScrew

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

SSI + Cleansweep is about the only 'cheap' non-DSP way to do it. Cut the output from the amp under the center console for you source. Use the front mid and tweet into the SSI to sum a full signal.
ABBYSDAD (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 03:29 PM

Default Wiring.

Thanks for the replies. I understand the reasoning in getting a DPS or something similar. Since cutting the factory wiring is needed for those options, would it be safe to say that I can cut the outputs from the Sony amp and run those to the new amp and then run new wiring from that amp back to the factory wiring that runs to the speakers? The amp only puts out 50 rms/ 100 max which should be sufficient enough to wake up the 6x8s. I'm not looking to build a competition worthy system just a setup that I enjoy. If I remember correctly, the factory wiring should be able to handle that amount of power.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. I understand the reasoning in getting a DPS or something similar. Since cutting the factory wiring is needed for those options, would it be safe to say that I can cut the outputs from the Sony amp and run those to the new amp and then run new wiring from that amp back to the factory wiring that runs to the speakers? The amp only puts out 50 rms/ 100 max which should be sufficient enough to wake up the 6x8s. I'm not looking to build a competition worthy system just a setup that I enjoy. If I remember correctly, the factory wiring should be able to handle that amount of power.
Technically you could do that but without a DSP or signal summer you're going to get a pretty crappy signal. In my opinion not doing so wouldn't be worth amplifying the signal, I'd simply just swap the door speakers and run them off factory sony amp. Amplifying that crappy signal won't do much for you....(at least in my opinion, I could be wrong).
ABBYSDAD (10-15-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 04:38 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by KBT2011
Technically you could do that but without a DSP or signal summer you're going to get a pretty crappy signal. In my opinion not doing so wouldn't be worth amplifying the signal, I'd simply just swap the door speakers and run them off factory sony amp. Amplifying that crappy signal won't do much for you....(at least in my opinion, I could be wrong).
Start by swapping the door speakers with something more efficient and swap out the sub for an aftermarket with more juice. You can always add an amp later if you still aren't happy.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Start by swapping the door speakers with something more efficient and swap out the sub for an aftermarket with more juice. You can always add an amp later if you still aren't happy.

Done and done. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-15-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Here is one way how to do it.

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/2013-s...at-etc-317563/
ABBYSDAD (10-17-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 10:49 AM

Done and done. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Either Cleansweep plus SSI or just food for thought - I paid $399 for my Audison Bit Ten.
ABBYSDAD (10-17-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Other than the LOC, did you use any type of DSP?

Quick Reply: 2014 FX2 Amp Upgrade