Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2013 XLT Screw Stereo upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 XLT Screw Stereo upgrade question

So I just became the proud owner of a new to me 2013 XLT Super Crew last week. I sold my 05 Taco which had a helluva sound system I put in several years back and thought I wouldn't miss it, but I do. I've decided to upgrade the sound system and I think I've done my homework but I want you guys to check me to be sure. I am keeping the factory radio/sync system. It's the one without the LCD screen. I plan to replace the 4 door speakers with 6x8 kenwoods. I am adding a JBL 12" sub under the driver side back seat in a fitted enclosure and am adding a kenwood 5 channel amp to power it all. My understanding is that I will need the lc7i unit to provide the connection between my factory head and the amp, which is fine I've ordered that too. My question is this, I've seen a few other forums where people mentioned they also had to "sum" their tweeters and front door speakers as the factory head splits the signal. I do have the 2 pillar tweeters, but will it be necessary for me to "sum" the output to the Lc7i and if so what else do I need to purchase to do this, or is it unnecessary with the base model radio I have? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 2013 XLT Screw Stereo upgrade question

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe the idea is to get a full range signal to all channels. By summing, you're basically bypassing any factory filtering and feeding that full range signal to your aftermarket amp. Then at this point, you get to decide which kind of crossover points and filtering to add to each channel based off the speakers you purchased.

If I'm not mistaken, the LC7i can handle the summing of the signals. Check out the manual when you receive it or download the manual beforehand.

Last edited by poskwally; 07-27-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:21 PM

I just saw that last night right after I posted this. The Lc7i does indeed have a sum feature so even if I do need it I'm already covered. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:56 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by trith72
So I just became the proud owner of a new to me 2013 XLT Super Crew last week. I sold my 05 Taco which had a helluva sound system I put in several years back and thought I wouldn't miss it, but I do. I've decided to upgrade the sound system and I think I've done my homework but I want you guys to check me to be sure. I am keeping the factory radio/sync system. It's the one without the LCD screen. I plan to replace the 4 door speakers with 6x8 kenwoods. I am adding a JBL 12" sub under the driver side back seat in a fitted enclosure and am adding a kenwood 5 channel amp to power it all. My understanding is that I will need the lc7i unit to provide the connection between my factory head and the amp, which is fine I've ordered that too. My question is this, I've seen a few other forums where people mentioned they also had to "sum" their tweeters and front door speakers as the factory head splits the signal. I do have the 2 pillar tweeters, but will it be necessary for me to "sum" the output to the Lc7i and if so what else do I need to purchase to do this, or is it unnecessary with the base model radio I have? Thanks in advance!
In your case, the XLT tweeters are just tapped off of the door speakers. Not separate amplified lite the Sony systems. No need to sum
Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 PM

Nice, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 2013 XLT Screw Stereo upgrade question