Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2013 XLT screw audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 XLT screw audio upgrade

Hello there. Just picked up a new 2013 f150 xlt screw with the ecoboost engine. So far I love the truck. Now, the audio section has a lot of improvement to make it up to my standards but I knew this when I bought the truck. I got the standard radio 4.2in screen no nav with sync and I plan on not changing the aesthetics of the OEM look.

I tend to not go for the excessively loud systems, my last one had 75rms to the doors and 150rms for the sub and that setup was plenty for my tastes.

What I'm planning for in this truck is to use an Audiocontrol lc8i to sum the front a pillar tweeters and front door speakers together, then pull the rear channel for the rear and to create the sub out.

For the door speakers I've settled on JBL gto8608c for the fronts and JBL gto8628 for the rears. Both pairs are 2ohms and handle 70rms.

For the sub I'm going with a single JBL ms-10sd4 slim. I will be creating a custom sealed box to fit under the passenger rear seat as I would like to save as much room under the driver side rear.

For the amp I've decided on going with a 5 channel amp to save space and will be placing it behind the rear driver side seat. The amp will be a rockford fosgate r600X5 as the specs line up perfectly for the use of the speakers that I have selected.

Opinions? Im still a little undecided if I want to go with a 6x8 mid range in the front or if I want to get a 6.5. The 6x8 would make for a slightly easier install but creating a bracket for a 6.5 is a non issue for me in the grand scheme of things.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Squadfer
Hello there. Just picked up a new 2013 f150 xlt screw with the ecoboost engine. So far I love the truck. Now, the audio section has a lot of improvement to make it up to my standards but I knew this when I bought the truck. I got the standard radio 4.2in screen no nav with sync and I plan on not changing the aesthetics of the OEM look.

I tend to not go for the excessively loud systems, my last one had 75rms to the doors and 150rms for the sub and that setup was plenty for my tastes.

What I'm planning for in this truck is to use an Audiocontrol lc8i to sum the front a pillar tweeters and front door speakers together, then pull the rear channel for the rear and to create the sub out.

For the door speakers I've settled on JBL gto8608c for the fronts and JBL gto8628 for the rears. Both pairs are 2ohms and handle 70rms.

For the sub I'm going with a single JBL ms-10sd4 slim. I will be creating a custom sealed box to fit under the passenger rear seat as I would like to save as much room under the driver side rear.

For the amp I've decided on going with a 5 channel amp to save space and will be placing it behind the rear driver side seat. The amp will be a rockford fosgate r600X5 as the specs line up perfectly for the use of the speakers that I have selected.

Opinions? Im still a little undecided if I want to go with a 6x8 mid range in the front or if I want to get a 6.5. The 6x8 would make for a slightly easier install but creating a bracket for a 6.5 is a non issue for me in the grand scheme of things.
You can tap into the front speaker wires behind the stereo and pull a full range signal. You shouldnt need to sum the tweeters and mids as they are not on seperate channels. I intend to use an audiocontrol EQX and pull all my signals from the front. The EQX will convert my speaker level outputs to RCAs as well as act as my crossover for my subwoofer. I will be running a set of 6.5 components in the front, with the woofer in the door and tweeter in the factory spot in the pillar. I havent decided whether Ill run the Diamond Audio components that I pulled from my last truck or picking up a set of JBL P660c components. I never use rear speakers in any of my system. I prefer all the sound coming from in front of me
Old 03-16-2014, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by king nothing
You can tap into the front speaker wires behind the stereo and pull a full range signal. You shouldnt need to sum the tweeters and mids as they are not on seperate channels. I intend to use an audiocontrol EQX and pull all my signals from the front. The EQX will convert my speaker level outputs to RCAs as well as act as my crossover for my subwoofer. I will be running a set of 6.5 components in the front, with the woofer in the door and tweeter in the factory spot in the pillar. I havent decided whether Ill run the Diamond Audio components that I pulled from my last truck or picking up a set of JBL P660c components. I never use rear speakers in any of my system. I prefer all the sound coming from in front of me
Ok so the front speakers (mid/tweeter) are not seperate outputs from the headunit? If so that saves me from having to buy the lc8i, I could get away with the lc6i instead if that is the case or even the EQX (looking into that now and will highly consider it as it is looking like the golden ticket right now).

Im new to this F150 as I haven't pulled the dash to see what is behind there yet, however not new to custom installs. So with that being said, there is no factory amp hidden some place so that I could tap from behind the radio in the dash?

The reason why I'm keeping the rears speakers is they will be turned down lower then my front mains but they are mainly for the passengers in the back. But I do agree, a front stage is more ideal.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds good to me man. Post some pics throughout the process for us!
Old 03-16-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

I have a 2011 XLT (see sig) and used the NVX MVP amps. One 4 channel for the speakers and one monoblock for the subwoofer. They both fit at the bottom of the center panel. Under the radio. I used one 8ga wiring kit from NVX thru the grommet on the pass side and grounded on the instrument panel support bracket. Subwoofer is JL Audio 10TW3 10" slim in a custom box under the pass rear seat (supercab). The system works great and is much easier to wire with the amps near the head unit.
The NVX amps are 4X100W and 300W. Plenty of power for me.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Squadfer
Ok so the front speakers (mid/tweeter) are not seperate outputs from the headunit?

Correct

If so that saves me from having to buy the lc8i, I could get away with the lc6i instead if that is the case or even the EQX (looking into that now and will highly consider it as it is looking like the golden ticket right now).

Im new to this F150 as I haven't pulled the dash to see what is behind there yet, however not new to custom installs. So with that being said, there is no factory amp hidden some place so that I could tap from behind the radio in the dash?

There is no factory amp unless you have the sony system, which Im positive you do not as Im pretty sure it doesnt come with the 4.2 inch screen

The reason why I'm keeping the rears speakers is they will be turned down lower then my front mains but they are mainly for the passengers in the back. But I do agree, a front stage is more ideal.

My kids are the only ones riding on my back seat, and they both have their headphones in all the time. If you want to run rear speakers you can tap all 4 outputs behind the head unit or you can find them in the wire bundles near the kickpanels
Responses in bold
Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
I have a 2011 XLT (see sig) and used the NVX MVP amps. One 4 channel for the speakers and one monoblock for the subwoofer. They both fit at the bottom of the center panel. Under the radio. I used one 8ga wiring kit from NVX thru the grommet on the pass side and grounded on the instrument panel support bracket. Subwoofer is JL Audio 10TW3 10" slim in a custom box under the pass rear seat (supercab). The system works great and is much easier to wire with the amps near the head unit.
The NVX amps are 4X100W and 300W. Plenty of power for me.
Wow, those are tiny amps. Wonder if they do rated power
Old 03-16-2014, 07:32 PM

Well I've run them as loud as I can stand and they sound fine to me. They say that they are CEA-2006 compliant. They are small. So far I have no complaints and they sure are easier to wire because of the location.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
They say that they are CEA-2006 compliant.
That generally means they will do rated power. You have them mounted behind the dash?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 PM

They are stacked on top of the center air duct beneath the shelf below the radio. I do not have the center console. I believe there is room behind the climate controls also. I use the pre-outs from the Kenwood unit to drive them then I have the outputs connected to where the Kenwood outputs would connect to the speakers. I did not have to modify the factory wiring.

Quick Reply: 2013 XLT screw audio upgrade