Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2013 with Sony - Speaker Install Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 with Sony - Speaker Install Q's

I am going to be upgrading my door speakers first (with Focal Performance 130AS for front, and Performance R-570C in the rears), then going to an amp later down the road as cash flow allows. So I will be running these off the factory amp for a bit.

I have done some searching on here and am having a hard time finding answers to a few questions:

1) Those that went with Components up front, did you use the component crossover? Do the front speakers get full spectrum, or are they crossed over somewhere already from the factory?

2) Does anyone know the impedance on the factory speakers?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2017, 05:00 PM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bryced1
I am going to be upgrading my door speakers first (with Focal Performance 130AS for front, and Performance R-570C in the rears), then going to an amp later down the road as cash flow allows. So I will be running these off the factory amp for a bit.

I have done some searching on here and am having a hard time finding answers to a few questions:

1) Those that went with Components up front, did you use the component crossover? Do the front speakers get full spectrum, or are they crossed over somewhere already from the factory?

2) Does anyone know the impedance on the factory speakers?

Thanks in advance!
I'm not 100% sure about the 2013 models but in the '15 and '16 models, the tweeters run off the head unit's front outputs and are split halfway down the line and run thru a cap that keeps low frequencies from them.

If you're going to invest in component speakers, you're going to be paying extra for the crossover. It's worth it IMO because it'll be a better sounding system and you should use it.

I would use tap into the stock front door speaker wires for the door speakers as snaking a wire thru that molex plug is a gianormous pain. Then just run a dedicated wire from the crossover to your new tweeters. Running wire up to the A pillars is pretty easy and as simple as dropping it down behind the dash.

Now if you're going to use the factory amp to run everything you can mount the crossovers behind the rear seats and tap into the amp's outputs there. If you want just a simple plug and play setup then you can just drop the tweeter in the stock location and use the factory's crossover. It won't sound to it's best potential but it'll work.

The factory woofer is 4 ohms and the tweeter is probably something along the lines of 6 or 8 to keep the load right for the amp.
The following users liked this post:
bryced1 (01-26-2017)