Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2013 Lariat with Sony+Sub = YUCK

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down 2013 Lariat with Sony+Sub = YUCK

Just picked up my truck last night. I have MFT, Navigation, Sony Radio, and Noticed the Sub under the rear seat. Ford has much work to do for a Luxury 50k stickered truck in the way of audio quality. I tried adjusting what I could, using different inputs (Sat, FM, iPod) . I am pretty disappointed with the sound quality. How do you guys feel about your radios?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by ov10mech
Just picked up my truck last night. I have MFT, Navigation, Sony Radio, and Noticed the Sub under the rear seat. Ford has much work to do for a Luxury 50k stickered truck in the way of audio quality. I tried adjusting what I could, using different inputs (Sat, FM, iPod) . I am pretty disappointed with the sound quality. How do you guys feel about your radios?
Pretty much everyone agrees with you. That is why we have this forum. There are my threads talking about the Sony setup and how to make it better.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:35 PM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Satellite of course sounds the worst. Swapped in some infinity 6832's and am very happy with ipod, cd and other.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=Damn Dirty Ape;2247929]Satellite of course sounds the worst. Swapped in some infinity 6832's and am very happy with ipod, cd and other.[/QUOTE`]

That is good to hear. So the sound quality is really from crappy speakers and not so much the radio itself or the amp? How many speakers did you replace?

I am a big fan of Polk Audio and will probably go that route.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:05 PM

Just ordered two pairs of the Infinitys . Amazon has them for 45.38 / pair and since I am prime I get free two day ship !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CMUKZY
Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM

I couldn't agree more. For the price of these trucks you would think they would have included a nice sounding factory stereo, at least in the premium trim levels.

Just added 2 kicker comp 10s under the rear seat to take care of the bass issue in my 2012 screw. The bass sounds great but made the factory door speakers sound even worse now that I have some aftermarket mixed in. Currently in the process of researching aftermarket door speakers/tweeters.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ncampbell2002
I couldn't agree more. For the price of these trucks you would think they would have included a nice sounding factory stereo, at least in the premium trim levels.

Just added 2 kicker comp 10s under the rear seat to take care of the bass issue in my 2012 screw. The bass sounds great but made the factory door speakers sound even worse now that I have some aftermarket mixed in. Currently in the process of researching aftermarket door speakers/tweeters.
I highly recommend the infinity kappas. I put them in this weekend after originally going with a infinity reference set all around. I havnt even amped them yet and already they are crystal clear at max volume off the factory head (2010 xlt sync only)

Good bass response and clear mids/highs for a coaxial (mine are the infinity kappa 682.9cf) and iv heard even better things about the component kappas. I just wasn't comfortable drilling tweeter holes in my pillars or I would of gone that route.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Now you have me concerned since I have the reference speakers on order. Obviously you were not happy with them if you replaced them twice.

Originally Posted by Chootem
I highly recommend the infinity kappas. I put them in this weekend after originally going with a infinity reference set all around. I havnt even amped them yet and already they are crystal clear at max volume off the factory head (2010 xlt sync only)

Good bass response and clear mids/highs for a coaxial (mine are the infinity kappa 682.9cf) and iv heard even better things about the component kappas. I just wasn't comfortable drilling tweeter holes in my pillars or I would of gone that route.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sony makes great electronics. Unfortunately, they should have stayed out of the car audio game. I learned this long ago. Wish I could warn everyone who is thinking about going with the Sony Sound 'upgrade' before buying a new truck, as most are in the same boat as you.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ov10mech
Now you have me concerned since I have the reference speakers on order. Obviously you were not happy with them if you replaced them twice.
Yeah I was not pleased, I bought Sony xplodes from Wallyworld back in 05 that IMO sounded better. The infinitys were loud, but had so much distortion, even at 50% volume. I was skipping every other song.

Plus Seeings as I payed 120$ for 2 pair, then found the kappas for only $30 more shipped (amazon, I'll look up the seller if your interested) I figured what the hell. I am 10x happier. Can't wait to give them the power they crave.

Everyone review and every person I talked to had nothing but good things to say about the reference, maybe I was just unlucky.

Sorry to hijack OP
The following users liked this post:
wluttrell (06-02-2016)

Quick Reply: 2013 Lariat with Sony+Sub = YUCK