Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation > Stereo/Audio
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2013 F150 Amp install help

I recently upgraded the door speakers in my 2013 Scab F150 to Infiniti Kappa 682.11CF all the way around. My truck has sync with the smaller 4 inch screen, I bought a 4-channel Alpine MRP-F300 amp to power the door speakers. I have the speakers installed but I have no idea what to do with the amp. Speakers were easy but can't say I've ever installed an amp before.

Took it to a shop and they wanted to charge me $450 to install the amp. Also tried to charge me $250 for a 8 channel line converter. What exactly do I need for this install? Can I use a 2 channel line out converter for this? The amp runs 4x75 watts @2 ohms and the speakers are 100 rms @2ohms. Any help is appreciated

Last edited by wolf50; 07-30-2013 at 02:46 PM.
wolf50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Member
 
elcamino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

If you've never done an amp before a 4 channel one into a factory head unit isn't the best place to start.

You will need to get power, ground and turn on lead to the amp. Next will need some sort of line out converter to get the signal to the amp and then have to get the output from the amp to the door speakers either via the factory wiring or running your own.

For those costs could just get a new head unit with more power than the stock one. Are you planning on adding a sub or just wanting to amp the door speakers? You won't likely get a ton more low end. To get that you really need some sort of a sub/amp

Might look at this thread for some ideas : http://www.f150forum.com/f30/small-4...stalled-96750/
__________________
2013 F150 STX SCab - Tuxedo Black 5.0L, 3.55 LSD, Flowmaster 40 series stainless SI/DO, 3" Slant cut tips, EWS Slim Toolbox, Raptor Head/Tail lights, led lighted center console, Clazzio Seat covers

Last edited by elcamino; 07-30-2013 at 03:45 PM.
elcamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Casper, WY.
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 28
Thanked 118 Times in 114 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcamino View Post
If you've never done an amp before a 4 channel one into a factory head unit isn't the best place to start.

You will need to get power, ground and turn on lead to the amp. Next will need some sort of line out converter to get the signal to the amp and then have to get the output from the amp to the door speakers either via the factory wiring or running your own.

For those costs could just get a new head unit with more power than the stock one. Are you planning on adding a sub or just wanting to amp the door speakers? You won't likely get a ton more low end. To get that you really need some sort of a sub/amp

Might look at this thread for some ideas : http://www.f150forum.com/f30/small-4...stalled-96750/
This is true but there isn't a dash kit for the 2013's yet for an aftermarket HU.
__________________
2014 Tuxedo Black F150 XLT Scab 4x4 w/5.0 with SCT tune. JVC's in doors. 2 - 10" Kenwood subs under rear seat powered by JL Audio amp
Wyo11Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Casper, WY.
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 28
Thanked 118 Times in 114 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf50 View Post
I recently upgraded the door speakers in my 2013 Scab F150 to Infiniti Kappa 682.11CF all the way around. My truck has sync with the smaller 4 inch screen, I bought a 4-channel Alpine MRP-F300 amp to power the door speakers. I have the speakers installed but I have no idea what to do with the amp. Speakers were easy but can't say I've ever installed an amp before.

Took it to a shop and they wanted to charge me $450 to install the amp. Also tried to charge me $250 for a 8 channel line converter. What exactly do I need for this install? Can I use a 2 channel line out converter for this? The amp runs 4x75 watts @2 ohms and the speakers are 100 rms @2ohms. Any help is appreciated
You will need to tap your existing speaker wires with a line out converter. All 4 if you want to fade or just 2 if you don't. Then you will need to run new speaker wire from the amp back to the speakers. You will also need a turn on wire for the amp from your fuse box and a 12V wire from your battery. RCA cables from the line out converters to the amp
__________________
2014 Tuxedo Black F150 XLT Scab 4x4 w/5.0 with SCT tune. JVC's in doors. 2 - 10" Kenwood subs under rear seat powered by JL Audio amp
Wyo11Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Member
 
elcamino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab View Post
This is true but there isn't a dash kit for the 2013's yet for an aftermarket HU.
Is there a difference from the 2009-2012?
__________________
2013 F150 STX SCab - Tuxedo Black 5.0L, 3.55 LSD, Flowmaster 40 series stainless SI/DO, 3" Slant cut tips, EWS Slim Toolbox, Raptor Head/Tail lights, led lighted center console, Clazzio Seat covers
elcamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Casper, WY.
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 28
Thanked 118 Times in 114 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcamino View Post
Is there a difference from the 2009-2012?
That's what they say.
__________________
2014 Tuxedo Black F150 XLT Scab 4x4 w/5.0 with SCT tune. JVC's in doors. 2 - 10" Kenwood subs under rear seat powered by JL Audio amp
Wyo11Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

yes - dash is completely different and there is not a kit for the 13's yet
__________________
2013 F150 FX2 5.0 Screw, 401a, 3.55 ELD-that is all
2011 Expedition XLT 202package-superchips cortex (wife's now)
2006 Expedition EB 4x4 (you served us well)
previous 2003 F150 Supercrew (love the Expy, but still missed, if only you were 4x4)
1987 Ranger 4x4 (RIP)
mtondreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
"Pure Awesomeness"
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ECOBoost4life
Default

after market HU kits are now out for 2013. check out my other post for pics:

http://www.f150forum.com/f30/13-xtr-...w-sync-252710/
ECOBoost4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Wow..The guy just wants to install an Amp and everyone wants to figure out how to swap his head unit. LOL....

To answer the OPs question, it's really simple. You need to provide the amplifier with 4 things:

1 - Power/Ground (Power preferably from the battery. Ground from the chassis near the Amp)
2 - Remote power on signal
3 - High level or low level inputs form your head unit (Low level is better)
4 - Speaker wires out from your new Amp to the speakers

The easiest way to get #2, #3 and even #4 done is to buy one of these:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ckId=874528037

This connects in-line between your factory head unit and factory wiring connectors requiring NO cutting. It will provide you 4 - low level line out connections for your amp as well as a remote power wire AND a way for you to wire the amp to your new speakers without cutting a single factory wire.

For #1, Run a 4ga wire directly from your battery to the rear of the truck behind the rear seat and use a distribution block to run a smaller gauge (8ga) to your new Amp. this will allow you to add a sub woofer at some point in time if you want to. For the ground, find a good place to drill into the back of the cab for a nice clean ground.

For the speakers, you can actually run 4 new speaker wires from the Amp back up to the harness on the PAC AOEM-FRD24 and cut the high level out speaker wires using them instead of running all new stuff to the speakers. that way, if you decide to sell or trade-in, you can remove everything quick and clean.

Its a really easy job if you take your time and have all of the piece parts ready before you tear into everything. Just make sure you have the Power/Ground wire, the low level RCA cables (you'll need 2 - two channel cables. 14' will do). Buy 100' of 14Ga speaker wire, a good crimping tool and lots of butt connectors or you can solder everything if you want.

Hope this helps.
barkingspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 12
Thanked 118 Times in 101 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

@barkingspud the PAC aoem unit WILL NOT work on a 2013 with the small screen in the dash, which is what the OP has. Good advice otherwise
king nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.