Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2013 F-150 with Sony stereo. How to install aftermarket amp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 F-150 with Sony stereo. How to install aftermarket amp?

Hello,

I can only imagine this has been asked before. I apologize in advance to those that may be offended by a topic already covered being asked again.

So, I have a 2013 FX4 super crew with the Sony "premium" stereo. I notice that as I turn up the volume the sub gets progressively less potent. Thanks Ford....

I am looking to replace the amp/sub with an aftermarket combo.

Is there anything I need to be aware of before hand?
Processor needed?
Any tricks to make it work properly without the bass going empty as I turn up the volume?

If I am oblivious to an important question please feel free to input your opinion. However, do a dummy a favor and keep it simple.

thank you

Brandon
Old 10-20-2014, 02:20 AM
On down the highway

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Welcome to the forum.. not trying to be smart alec.. but this has been talked about till blue in the face...search the words sony sub, in thread titles only and 13 pages of 100's of posts will come up
heres a link to that search... need to find what works for you
Click here edit. Apparently search links expire. Just search sony sub and will get 13 pages of answers

Last edited by Truckin; 10-20-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

So, to be honest I have done a fair amount of post reading on this subject and the technical jargon has me a bit confused. Add that to the fact that people seem to have suggestion upon suggestion about how to go about this and nothing I have read so far is confidence inspiring.

Usually, after a topic has been covered until blue in the face, the answer can be presented in a clear and concise way.

I would like, if possible, to make this thread the one that has that answer laid out on the first page. It would be like a breath of fresh air.

Anyone willing to take on that question?

What is required to install an aftermarket amp in a 2013 F-150 with the sony stereo?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:04 AM
On down the highway

Here read the whole thread. ... Post 10 has a diagram

Last edited by Truckin; 10-20-2014 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BrandonSBates (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 PM

Factory nav> factory Sony amp> new processor> new amps. The processor will sum your input signals and give you your front/rear/sub channels to go to your new amps.

The following users liked this post:
BartyPartyF150 (01-25-2017)
Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 PM

Thank you kindly for taking the time to hold my hand in the search department. I honestly tried many different search inputs and did not come across that. Very appreciated.

So a guy needs a signal processor that will sum the signal so there isn't a bass loss when the HU volume is increased? Is that right?

Also, I assume the factory amp in question is located under the center console? I imagine I can tag into a rear door speaker wire?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:33 PM

one more question: Can I leave the factory sony sub in operation after installing a processor and adding a second separately amplified sub to the mix? That is, will the signals not be synchronized or something along those lines?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 187 Likes on 155 Posts

To be clear, and depending on what you want to do, the stock amplifier (yes, there is one) is more than capable of powering a set of after-market components up front and coaxials in the rear. That's what I did and the system sounds great.

Now if you want to rock the house and aren't too interested in your long-term hearing ability, then by all means go crazy...but simply replacing the crap plastic-coned stock speakers works plenty good. I replaced the stocks w/alpine components up front and alpine coaxials in the rear doors. And did the poly-fill mod to the stock woofer for some added deepness. Works quite well IMO.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:31 PM

Good point, thank you. I am not going crazy. Just looking for a fuller bass note than the 8" can offer without spending too much. An aftermarket amp/sub will be adequate for now I anticipate.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 PM
On down the highway

Originally Posted by BrandonSBates
Good point, thank you. I am not going crazy. Just looking for a fuller bass note than the 8" can offer without spending too much. An aftermarket amp/sub will be adequate for now I anticipate.
If bass is all your looking for..I've seen where others simply use the sony sub input wires to an inexpensive loc.. to run a small mono amp/sub

Quick Reply: 2013 F-150 with Sony stereo. How to install aftermarket amp?