Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2012 with Sync, Nav Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

Default 2012 with Sync, Nav Install

Hey guys, Newbie here! I ordered a F150 SS S/C XLT with the Sync single MP3/CD player about a week ago so I wanted to do a little research before it got here! I was planning on ripping out the head unit and putting in my Kenwood Nav. I have read over many threads and have a pretty good understanding of what I have to do and buy to have this work with the sync system . I guess I have a question or two I am not sure about.
1. with the PAC MS-FRD1and the Pac SWI-jack it is my understanding everything will work other than the clock since the OEM radio controls that feature. My question is,,, Is this True and has anyone done this on a 2012? I can't find much on the 2012 but plenty on the 2011 as far as radio removal and so on, and even though they are suppose to be the same I am not positive that Ford hasn't changed something in the audio system for 2012? Especially the sync system as far as updated firmware and so on.
2. Now for the Stupid!! I was thinking, why spend so much money on these components to add the Nav when I could simply install the Nav and use the RCA outputs and connect them to the AUX input. That way I will still have the Nav, DVD and all the features of the OEM system!! Now I can hear it already!!! What the Heck?? Well before you go off on me let me tell you I have done this before! I liked the OEM feature of automatic volume control however my Nav didn't have it. So with the last truck I had,,, which wasn't a Ford... But I have learned my lesson and came back home..... I took out the OEM unit and relocated it out of sight and replaced it with the Nav. I simply hooked up the RCA to the AUX input and everything worked great! Of course the amount of wires in the harness from years ago is nothing compared to today's! I was thinking about relocating the radio under the usb1 and aux input, if I am not mistaking these is a storage area there,, I may be wrong as I didn't pay much attention to that area when I was on a test drive. But if there is one I plan on putting the radio right there. So now comes the question,,, for you guys that have done the radio swap,, can you remember if there would be enough lead wire to lower the radio about a foot or so? I know I may have to cut the tape wrapping to get more lenght but I was wondering if there is any lead wire? I have done this so many times and with some cars there is plenty and others you can barely get the HU out far enough to unplug it!
Any (KIND) input or direction would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Are you looking for the NAV functions only? The reason I ask is that SYNC provides directions on the services for 3 years at no charge. Just hit SYNC on your steering wheel controls and say services. Then say directions. You can give it an address or a business name and it will tell you how to get there from where you are. You will have the same as what you are thinking about doing. Minus the screen.
if you are set on installing the Kenwood then get a $30 dash kit and the FRD1 and SWI and replace the stock system.
That is what I did but I don't have NAV on my Clarion.
Pretty sure everything will work on the 2012 but you can call PAC to double check.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:00 PM

Thanks for your response, I did think, as you stated about the directions feature of sync but after further reading about it I understand it will download the directions and use the phones tracking to provide turns and so on. The shortcomings on that feature is if you miss a turn it doesn't recalculate and you have to call back in to get back on track. Also I still haven't had this confirmed but I have read it costs 60 bucks a year after the 3 years offered by ford. I still thought it might work but I travel a lot and construction detours and closing of roads in the winter are never a problem with the Nav system. I know updating the maps is about the same but I don't do it every year, I usually wait 3 years to get updates since they don't update their maps as often as most think. The other feature I have is the DVD which will work while driving and the rear view camera. It also has the Bluetooth but I plan on using sync for that. I like the OEM automatic volume control and that will still work using the aux input. I ordered the truck with the rearview camera but I am sure if I can figure out how to pull or split the video link it will be much better on the big screen. That being said, I still am not sure which way to go.. 200.00 bucks for the Pac's isn't the only thing hanging me up I have read that they did change the subwoofer from 2011 to 2012. They said the wiring is there for the amp / woofer but what I read from a guy that had a 2012 that the amp isn't in the back like it is on the 2011. I didn't and couldn't order the sub anyway but since I may have to do a complete wiring for amp and woofer connections I could just use the Kenwood as I currently have that pushing a amp and sub. In lies my concern between 2011 to 2012. I would like to hear from some 2012 owners that are using the Pac system to make sure it will work everything other than the clock. BTW did you install the system? IF so can you remember if there is any lead wire from the OEM connector to HU?
Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 PM

Yes I put it in. What do you mean by "lead wire"? I just wired everything up on my work bench and then plugged it in. I would also call PAC and see if will work with a 2012. There may be anyone you here who has tried it yet on a 2012.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM

What I mean is the connector that went to the OEM radio! When you took out the radio, could you pull the radio out a bit to dissconnect the connector on the back of the radio? Some I have done have a lot of wire to the connector so you can pull the radio out pretty far and others you almost had to reach behind the radio to disconnect it. So if I did plan on moving the radio down to the storage box below the aux 1 and usb panel would I have enough wire on the connector to the radio to reach down there?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by mamonti
What I mean is the connector that went to the OEM radio! When you took out the radio, could you pull the radio out a bit to dissconnect the connector on the back of the radio? Some I have done have a lot of wire to the connector so you can pull the radio out pretty far and others you almost had to reach behind the radio to disconnect it. So if I did plan on moving the radio down to the storage box below the aux 1 and usb panel would I have enough wire on the connector to the radio to reach down there?
No it is just enough to unscrew the radio and unplug it.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:45 AM

Thanks for your help! I guess you are dead on about not having anyone that has done it on a 2012! Well I guess I will find out when mine get here and have post what I have found! Of course I am not sure when it is coming in but I have heard anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks so maybe somebody will have done it by then.

Thanks Again!
The following users liked this post:
burg150xlt (05-28-2013)

Quick Reply: 2012 with Sync, Nav Install